Why do people still play older editions of D&D? Are they superior to the current one?

Older editions are like music from previous decades. When you hear a old song and start to remember past there is a feeling you don't find most of new music. And you enjoy more when you have just collected your books than waiting the new version of some titles.

And when you have spent a lot of money with books, you don't want buy the remade titles.

I started playing with 3.5. My group is currently playing 5E. I prefer 3.5 over 5.

Does 5E have things I like? Yes. Does it have things I don't like? Yes. But the same can be said for 3.5. It all comes down to your and your group's preference.

"Edition wars are like telling your friend his prom date is ugly. You may have your reasons. You may even be right. But you're still a jerk for doing so." - Bill Cavalier

Numerous reasons.

First, learning new rules takes a long time. I like to have a complete understanding of the game rules, but that takes time. This becomes a problem as the edition gets more and more bloated, and it's even worse if I'm GMing (because I'm expected to know some bizarre new feat or some nonsensical new prestige class that almost nobody asked for). Then the edition is abandoned by WotC or Paizo (or whoever) and I'm asked to do it again.

The same issue impacts adoption of new RPGs entirely. If I already know a game system that can handle sci-fi, do I really want to learn another game system that can also handle sci-fi? Not if the first game system is "good enough".

I've found this issue different editions of other RPGs. I started with Fate: Spirit of the Century. Then Diaspora, which made for great sci-fi gaming (I only ever want to play Fate or Mutants & Masterminds for sci-fi gaming), but learned later the Storyteller (GM) had actually dropped some rules that I'm glad we never saw. Then we tried Dresden Files, and things started getting worse. Then Strands of Fate (superhero themed), which fell apart after only two or three sessions. Each version of Fate seemed to be making things worse compared to the previous version. :(

Second, when you like an edition, the newer edition may not have "what you want". I'll use my own gaming experience as an example. I started with 2e. I didn't actually like it much, with some things, such as the rolled ability score system, driving me up the wall. The rules were not well-written (using 3e-style gamist language) and there was little unified math, so people were forever looking up the saving throw charts, the turn undead tables, and the like. The moment 3e came out I jumped, as fast as possible. During the "interregnum", when 3e had come out but my gaming group had not switched yet, I tried (and failed) to convince the GM to allow Magic Fang as a 2e spell. I hadn't even played 3e yet but I was already seeing things the new edition was doing better, and wanting that.

So 3e came out and we adopted it. Pretty quickly, we were using point buy, and I refuse to have rolled stats. In addition to the lack of rolling, the ability score scaling made sense. Do you know what was the difference between Con 8 and Con 14 in 2e, without consulting the chart? I have no idea. In 3e? Con 8 gives you -1 to hit points per level and Fort saves, Con 14 gives you +2 to those instead. I was also delighted that "exceptional strength" vanished, that classes gained levels at the same rate, and so forth. But 3e still had problems, mainly in terms of game balance between characters of different classes.

Then 4e came out. I bought the three core books and started running. Fighters no longer seemed boring. Mages were interesting but not overpowered. Clerics had a role beyond healing and condition relief (without poaching other character's turf such as buffing to be stronger than a fighter, blasting like a wizard, using Hold Person like a wizard, and so on). It's my favorite edition. Of course, it still has its own flaws.

Then 5e came out. At this point I was getting older and had less time. We played the first playtest document and I noted the lack of 4e's mathematically tight game balance. I could not predict ending numbers. This brought back bad memories of trying to run 3e. I haven't made the switch, and unless Pathfinder and 4e gaming completely disappears I won't make the switch. The longer I avoid a switch, the bigger and more bloated 5e gets, which means the barrier to game mastery simply gets higher and higher for me. By not wanting to play 5e as soon as possible, I've essentially discarded it as an edition.

Last edited:

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have years of backlog in WotC and third-party adventures for 5e. I have a home brew world that has so much more that I would like to explore. I could not buy another 5e product every again and I would still have many years worth of material to play. And D&D is not the only game I like to play.

My current campaign alone will likely take 2-3 years to complete.

If 6E were to come out in the next couple years I would see no reason to buy it. It would have to be exceptionally compelling for me to by a new D&D core ruleset and use it for all the material I already have. I would rather spend my money on a completely different rule system for a different genre. I'm happy using 5e for my medievalish fantasy RPG.

So I understand why folks stick with older editions.

Sadras

Legend
I have years of backlog in WotC and third-party adventures for 5e. I have a home brew world that has so much more that I would like to explore. I could not buy another 5e product every again and I would still have many years worth of material to play. And D&D is not the only game I like to play.

My current campaign alone will likely take 2-3 years to complete.

If 6E were to come out in the next couple years I would see no reason to buy it. It would have to be exceptionally compelling for me to by a new D&D core ruleset and use it for all the material I already have. I would rather spend my money on a completely different rule system for a different genre. I'm happy using 5e for my medievalish fantasy RPG

This. Is. Me.

Kyle Davis

First Post
Nostalgia is a helluva drug!

And, I dunno, I just like the way 3.5 makes the game-world 'feel'. Which doesn't make any sense, but there ya go.

zztong

Explorer
I'd say it depends on the mindset of the DM, what rules they think is best for themselves, the story to be told, and the players. The older rules are generally simpler and less defined. Continuity fits into this too. If you're part of a long-running game where character continuity matters, changing game systems tends to be a challenge to character conceptions just because what is possible changes.

Last edited:

Hello everyone,,
This is kind of a general question, and I know that, but I see lots of people playing 3rd edition and even more 3.5, but why do they play those instead showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ vidmate.vet/ of 5e? I'm fairly new to 5e as a whole, and I'm just wondering, in what ways are 3.5 and 3rd better than 5th? Is it simply for the feeling of playing something original? Or does 5e do something terrible that can only be done correctly in past editions? Just genuinely curious, and would it be worth it for me to learn the older versions?

I prefer a simpler game with fewer moving parts. For me, B/X D&D with the addition of feats (a very small list of them, as well) allows for all of the customization we need. It's not nostalgia, it is that 5e has nothing to offer me that I don't already have.

I "grew up" on 3.x, and didn't care for 4e. Recently, after a couple years of downtime with little tabletop gaming, I was asked by a group of friends to introduce them to D+D and DM for them.

I would love to take the time to learn 5e and teach them all the current version. But that means I have to learn 5e not just well enough to play it, but to teach it to others and DM it. Alternatively, I can throw together a tailored campaign, half a dozen character sheets, and hit the ground running in 3.5 with a solid Saturday of work.

So, I'm teaching a new generation of players 3.5. It's not because of nostalgia, it's not personal preference, it's not storytelling, it's not mechanics, it's not third party support, it's not complexity. It's just what was easiest at the time. I would love to play 5e with a group where someone else teaches us 5e, but that's simply not the social situation I am in.

Remove ads