D&D General why do we have halflings and gnomes?

I like Halflings, because they don't cause any world building stress for me. As per both Lord of the Rings and homo floresiensis they can be an isolated population closely related to humans but substantially smaller of stature. And that's really all there is to them. It thus really doesn't require any explanation to accommodate a small community of Halflings living somewhere in a world. Nobody has an expectation of them having any sort of grand civilization.

Without gnomes, who would wear all the pointed red hats?
Clerics?

mitre.jpg

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I find gnomes a little redundant with Haflings, but this is really in standard D&D lore, where they are like Hafling and Dwarves rolled together.

I really like the Gnomes from Pathfinder, where they are strange, fey-like and quite unique. I also kind of like the tinker gnomes and mechanical experts from something like Warcraft, but that doesn't fit everyone's campaign setting or even tone. (That ACME Science Steampunk stuff can be a little silly.)
I did feel the gnomes in AD&D were a bit redundant - but mostly with dwarves, from my perspective - except for the whole illusionist trend. That really set them apart back in 1e.

But I too really like what Paizo has done with gnomes for Golarion. It's one of PF's best changes (along with paladin's smite).

I find them a bit redundant with each other form an ecological perspective, but they have distinct narrative niches (everyman and magical trickster) that aren't well-served by any other popular race, so I certainly allow them.

In my own settings, they are one species, however. Different communities employ stealth and deception and kindness in different ways, resulting in very different individuals, but biologically they're all one group.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
explain as that does seem to be what you suggest they are just humans but without anything that makes them a spectacle to behold.
In a sense, they're really not a spectacle to behold... by design. If everyone in the D&D game is a spectacle or some kind of damaged goods (like sooooooo many adventurers are), the humble normalcy of a halfling whose greatest ambition might be to live comfortably with some good beer and seedcakes stands out.
But that doesn't make them "just humans".

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
explain as that does seem to be what you suggest they are just humans but without anything that makes them a spectacle to behold.
By being the Everyman, halflings have a relatability that the human heroes of a setting like LotR lack. They have a humility that makes their heroism all the more inspiring. Only a hobbit could have successfully borne the ring to Mordor, as only one so simple and humble could weather its evil for so long.

Additionally, being the Everyman archetype in a medieval context is a far cry from being “the faceless masses.” That’s a very post-industrial view of the common folk. Halflings aren’t faceless masses, they’re the agrarian class. A halfling adventurer is the farm boy who gets thrust into adventure by circumstances beyond their control - an incredibly common fantasy trope.

Now, again, that theming doesn’t necessarily translate well to D&D, which is why over time halflings have grown apart from that agrarian Everyman role. They’ve become curious, plucky thrill seekers and mischief makers, smiled upon by Lady Luck for their sheer audacity in the face of improbable odds. That’s a decent alternate direction to take halflings in if you are strongly opposed to the Everyman archetype.

Again, I personally prefer to treat each of these archetypes as stereotypes. My halflings are an oppressed underclass who have developed close bonds based around their mutual struggles. The halfling love of freedom and dedication to community are products of those shared hardships. That’s one example of how to subvert the typical halfling tropes, if neither of them appeal to you. If you take the time to delve into the themes behind the tropes instead of dismissing them, you can play with those themes, coming at them from different angles, or turning them on their heads.

jgsugden

Legend
why do we have halflings and gnomes?

I get that they are classic and all that but I can't for the life of me figure out the appeal of them or what to do with them in a setting?

I know why Tolkien used hobbits but I do not see who the use them in a non-story setting (gaming settings are slightly different)
D&D is not a non-story setting. It is an RPG. A role playing game. Characters play a role in a story. Halflings and gnomes are PC class races because some people enjoy playing them. One of my favorite PCs was a gnome wizard in 5E.

I'd just suggest to you that you listen to a few episodes of the Critical Role podcast from their first campaign. There are two gnomes in the party, and you can see how much fun the people playing them have.

Remove ads