• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General why do we have halflings and gnomes?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
They just need to be more difficult to find and less worth the effort. The books are also silent on how humans protect themselves, so how are they surviving? Please explain how any race survives in monster world without farming communities and villages.

I mean, here's a map of Bremen, one of the villages in FR Ten Towns. Notice anything missing? Like a super tall wall surrounding the village?

View attachment 131986

How about Easthaven?

View attachment 131987

Nope. No wall indicated there. How do these places even survive with the near constant raiding parties?
humans tend to be described as having a rather feudal structure. That sort of political structure worked because taxpayers got a lord who had a force of trained individuals to do things like go patrol the land to put down banditry & enforce laws. Nearby villages would go ask the nearby lord to join & gain those benefits just as we saw with the romans but people are suggesting halflings would avoid that by acting like they were being hunted for luck glands or something

Oofta

Legend
humans tend to be described as having a rather feudal structure. That sort of political structure worked because taxpayers got a lord who had a force of trained individuals to do things like go patrol the land to put down banditry & enforce laws. Nearby villages would go ask the nearby lord to join & gain those benefits just as we saw with the romans but people are suggesting halflings would avoid that by acting like they were being hunted for luck glands or something

The books don't say anything of the sort. In addition, if you have a feudal society, why would halflings not be vassals under the local lord? You're making up this whole "they don't pay taxes" bit again, aren't you? Just because they tend to settle in out of the way places does not mean they are not citizens of a larger society. Besides, MToF is specific to FR.

Also avoiding the question - I just showed a couple of maps of 2 of the 10 towns in a very dangerous region. They don't have walls. How do they survive? If it's because they're under protection, why is it that saying halflings are under protection unacceptable?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not at all
View attachment 131985
Both of those things involve trade. exotic spices involved in a generous meal & fine drink not from the local well involves a footprint not hard to stumble across or a level of trade needed to afford them. oh yea, apparently they use wagons since you couldn't believe it unless explicitly called out. A reasonable level of trade for farmers leaves a mark
Neither of those things have to involve trade for farmers that have fields, orchards and livestock.

Oofta

Legend
I have yet to hear one good reason why small villages and farmers can survive and thrive but halflings cannot.

So until that changes, I'm out of here.

P.S. reasons that only apply to human villages but not halfling villages don't count.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The books don't say anything of the sort. In addition, if you have a feudal society, why would halflings not be vassals under the local lord? You're making up this whole "they don't pay taxes" bit again, aren't you? Just because they tend to settle in out of the way places does not mean they are not citizens of a larger society. Besides, MToF is specific to FR.

Also avoiding the question - I just showed a couple of maps of 2 of the 10 towns in a very dangerous region. They don't have walls. How do they survive? If it's because they're under protection, why is it that saying halflings are under protection unacceptable?
You showed 6 of them, not 2. The one had 4 other of the 10 towns in small maps at the bottoms. 4 additional towns with no walls.

Oofta

Legend
You showed 6 of them, not 2. The one had 4 other of the 10 towns in small maps at the bottoms. 4 additional towns with no walls.
Good point, I was only paying attention to the big map. Still, how do these towns which appear to be bigger (and in theory wealthier) than halfling villages ever survive? I mean, Icewind Dale is one of the most "wild" areas in FR that has established communities from what I understand. Admittedly I'm not a big FR fan so my knowledge is minimal.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Neither of those things have to involve trade for farmers that have fields, orchards and livestock.
Now you are describing a group like the amish/quakers/shakers who shun some segment of modern advancements or some ascetic monastery. Even something as simple as cheese is going to vary from region to region but can be transported over vast differences if properly aged & sealed. Farmers are going to largely grow a limited number of crops & trade some of the excess for someone else's excess of a different crop

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Now you are describing a group like the amish/quakers/shakers who shun some segment of modern advancements or some ascetic monastery. Even something as simple as cheese is going to vary from region to region but can be transported over vast differences if properly aged & sealed. Farmers are going to largely grow a limited number of crops & trade some of the excess for someone else's excess of a different crop
No. Now I'm describing a group that would know how to cook and brew. Stop changing my arguments to suit your needs. I'm getting tired of the Straw army. Either respond to what I'm saying, or please stop responding to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads