Why do you GM for strangers online or at conventions? What do you get out of it?

Emirikol

Adventurer
Why do you GM for strangers online or at conventions? What do you get out of it?

I've been convention gaming for 30 years and VTT gaming for about 10. I'm soul-searching on why I bother to GM for total strangers.
I'm having second thoughts about doing it anymore.

why do you gm.jpg

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I find it fun to play with new people who have different perspectives than the same ol’ people I’ve been playing with for the last 20 years. In limited doses. Like one or two conventions a year.

Plus it’s a way to give back to a hobby that I’ve been part of for 40+ years. That’s why I’ve been doing Adventurers League at Gamehole Con. It’s a great, local con that needs a lot people for the popular D&D events and I get to support them by being one of their volunteers.

I have run other games at other cons in the past (mostly Villains and Vigilantes at Gen Con). But now I mostly focus on AL so all I have to do is prep work someone‘s already written, and that’s a whole lot easier.

Reynard

Legend
I started running games at conventions because, frankly, I was not having fun playing games at conventions. As egotistical as it may sound, I decided that if I ran games then at least 6 people plus me would get to have fun instead of no one.

Over time, I evolved into running "convention campaigns." That is, I run games that range for 3 to 6 four-hour sessions in length that tell a complete story. What I found was that some people who come to conventions do so because they don't have home groups, and a thing they found really fun and compelling was getting to enjoy a "campaign" over the course of a long weekend. Once I started doing that i realized I enjoyed a great benefit too: got to run a campaign I had been thinking about, but in truncated for, without the months or even years of investment. Sometimes I discovered that there was more "there" there and the con campaign extended from con to con. My longest was a Starfinder campaign that covered two conventions plus a long weekend, multi-session private game where half the folks were players from the con.

More generally: running games if fun. Running with strangers can be a challenge, but challenges are often fun. yes, it is possible to have a player that is very difficult. In that case, you have to use your grown up skills and solve the problem. But by and large, people that sign up to play a game with strangers are in and all they want is an enjoyable experience.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Sometime ago, I started filling open spots in my games to people I didn't know well, or at all.

Its gone well. Some don't stick, some do, a few I have become friends with.

In my case, there was really no alternative. The whole casual (or even edgier professional) gaming culture that has arisen around VTTs can also feel a bit frantic, and I try to find people who will be a good longer term match.

In any case, for me its working well.

aco175

Legend
Last convention before Covid my local Con oversold tickets for a slot or just did not have any D&D set up so myself and some other guy took a couple groups of players to an empty room and set up a game ourselves. I had a couple of the AL modules and some maps and such in my car so it was rather easy to get it going. The Con staff eventually found us and gave us the typical reward tickets to give to the best player at the table. I would bring my bag to the next Con in case people get stuck again. Last time before this was 30 years ago when I was in the Army and the local FLGS was putting on something at the local college and I was able to run a couple games.

Like what @billd91 said above- it is a way to give back to the hobby. Playing with others is fun in the 4 hour blocks. Some people do not mesh in style or attitude, but generally I find good people and find it self-rewarding. Like how I have my adventures on DMsGuild for PWYW and like to think some kids getting into the game are thankful for getting them for free and might pay it foreword someday.

Not sure I would like to do this all the time, maybe if I did not have a home game or regular group of players. Maybe I would check at the college for a night and try to make a set group.

MGibster

Legend
The same thing I get out of playing, fun. Usually it works out okay, sometimes it works out great, and on rare occasions it's just not much fun at all. It's also a great way to meet new players. I ran a game at my FLGS for Free RPG day this year, and while the game wasn't that fun and I didn't meet anyone suitable to game with regularly....wait a minute, why am I doing this?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I run multiple PBP groups here on ENWorld. I have played with a few dozen people. I have met ONE of them IRL, and I like to think we're friends now. It's also made for something closer to friendship with my interactions with the others on these boards, as well.

I also play with strangers at my Comic & Game store. Now, part of that is to help sell the books, dice, and supplies and grow the hobby. But I also enjoy it. Sure, I've played with many horrible people over the years, but I've also played with many lovely people. In fact, my ENTIRE personal group (we play after hours at the store) started as comic collectors that I taught to play D&D. They are now some of my closest friends.

So I wouldn't trade it.

aramis erak

Legend

I've been convention gaming for 30 years and VTT gaming for about 10. I'm soul-searching on why I bother to GM for total strangers.
I'm having second thoughts about doing it anymore.

What I get out of it?
I love to show off good games that aren't D&D. (not saying D&D isn't good; am saying I'll leave the D&D evangelism to people who actually like it rather than who (like me) find it merely "good enough to play occasionally."."
I love to see the "Oh, that's how that works" look.
In some cases, it's the only chance I get to run certain ones with/for fellow fans - like Tails of Equestria or WEG Star Wars.
Run 2 sessions to get free admissionto the local con (JAGC) for the weekend.
Because it gets me in free, I can play boardgames, too.

Remove ads