Why do you GM for strangers online or at conventions? What do you get out of it?

Reynard

Legend
Everyone is a stranger until you meet them. Many friends were those I met through gaming, maybe those who showed up at a game store to play D&D Encounters or something.
I also run the game just for the sheer joy of playing and spreading the love of the hobby.
QFT

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I have not run TTRPGs at conventions but I have run card and board games. I like introducing new players to games I enjoy and I think I pretty good at explaining rules to new players. I've never felt comfortable running TTRPGs at tables people pay to play at and I never really like Adventurer's League. What I have done is posted for running one-shots at my LFGS to run games that I otherwise wouldn't have time to run as a campaign and which not all of my normal group are interested in. For example The Expanse. These have gone well, but it helps not to have the pressure of making the session worth taking up a slot of time in an event people paid for.

Yora

Legend
New players are only strangers the first time they play.
If they come back again, they are regulars of the group.

My last campaign had something like 12 players of which 7 only played once or twice. But the 5 who stayed on were a fantastic group for the rest of the campaign.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I have not run TTRPGs at conventions but I have run card and board games. I like introducing new players to games I enjoy and I think I pretty good at explaining rules to new players. I've never felt comfortable running TTRPGs at tables people pay to play at and I never really like Adventurer's League. What I have done is posted for running one-shots at my LFGS to run games that I otherwise wouldn't have time to run as a campaign and which not all of my normal group are interested in. For example The Expanse. These have gone well, but it helps not to have the pressure of making the session worth taking up a slot of time in an event people paid for.
Are you still in MN?

Remove ads