• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why do you NOT like 3.5 ?

What dont you like about 3.5 ? (multiple choices)

• Yes I like 3.5

Votes: 143 57.0%
  • No I dont like 3.5

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Neutral or Split opinion on 3.5

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • No "updates" were necessary. 3.0 works fine.

Votes: 35 13.9%
  • It was made only to sell more books.

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Nothing really actually changed.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • "There can only be One". (You still play 1.0)

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • The changes made were more bad than good.

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • The changes werent enough and many more changes were needed.

Votes: 24 9.6%
  • You just hate buying new books

Votes: 36 14.3%

Bastoche

First Post
I really don't understand why my reasons to dislike 3.5 weren't in the poll (in fact the very opposite reason was there :rolleyes:

Way too many changes!

It requires you to read all the new books cover to cover. It annoys me very very VERY much.

I do not have the time for this. So I'll stick to 3.0 until I have some spare time to read the 3.5 SRD over. No way the hell WOTC will see anymore of my hard earned ca$h.

That and the zillions of new mistakes they introduced in the revised books. They should have started with only clearing things up, correct the mistakes and don't change anyrule.

In the DMG, there could've been a chapter with options of corrections: haste, harm comes to mind.

Then, in a few years, they could have printed an add-on version à la players' option from AD&D 2nd.

Too much too soon.

Psion

Adventurer
I sort of didn't emphasize this point too much earlier, but thought I should because it is really this biggest reason.

BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY.

I mean this in two ways.

First, in respect to campaigns. Campaigns are still ongoing. The bigger the changes, the harder it is going to be to bridge the gap.

Second, in regards to products. A huge body of well written products were produced based on 3.0 SRD, and too many of them are going to be invlalidated.

2.0->3.0 was a huge change, but needed to happen. But 3.0->3.5 really needed to be much more sensitive to compatability issues, stuck to the things that really needed changed, and engaged in a lot fewer changes "that would be neat," especially considering the short time frame between edition changes. As it is, too much fixin' went on of things that weren't broke.

TroyXavier

First Post
Do I like 3.5: yes
Did they put the books out to make money: yes
Do I care: no

I have enjoyed the changes for the most part. About the only change I've made so far is the buff spells for 10 mins/level instead of 1(but still better than the hour) I might change a few more, but for the most part I'm quite satisfied.

WizarDru

Adventurer
lordmalachdrim said:
I know what you mean about the cash. They're no better then T$S in that department.

TSR went out of business, so I tend to doubt your analysis. And even the simplest analysis of the release schedules will show that WoTC is not nearly as bad as TSR in other regards, as well.

Originally posted by BastocheIt requires you to read all the new books cover to cover. It annoys me very very VERY much.

While it won't take away the problem, there are conversion guides to help.

Last edited:

Bastoche

First Post
WizarDru said:

While it won't take away the problem, there are conversion guides to help.

And saying that these guides are totally useless is an understatement. They are worthless. They only prove my point even more; there is only one way to update to 3.5: read each book cover to cover.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Bastoche said:

And saying that these guides are totally useless is an understatement. They are worthless. They only prove my point even more; there is only one way to update to 3.5: read each book cover to cover.

Come on... isnt that overdoing it ? I think I didnt read 3.0 cover to cover ! Not in the same month at least. Always reading bits and parts and I will end up doing that in 3.5 too. After all... 3.0 and 3.5 are mostly the same.

Angcuru

First Post
Maraxle said:
The money isn't a problem, but my $60-$90 would be better spent on Arcana Unearthed (plus a couple of DVDs), one of my other hobbies, 3-4 bottles of my favorite reasonably-priced wine, or dinner at a decent restaurant with my girlfriend.
This is a man who knows what he's doing.;)

I for one agree with him, however, being single and under 21, I'd be stuck just doing.....something else.:p But he's got the right idea. 3.5 just changed a bunch of stuff that could be fixed with house rules, anyway.:rolleyes:

Holy Bovine

First Post
While I won't be switching whole hog to 3.5 there are a few rule changes I do like. Namely the new Bard, Ranger and Druid and Damage Reduction. These are all great IMO.

Someone mentioned that many spell-like powers were removed from the Demon & Devils. I hadn't noticed that and was planning on buy the MM because I like the new formatting. I only saw one split (ie you have to flip the page to see the rest of it) stat block and that is a great improvment, Some of the artwork in the MM is also improved (altough they kept that crappy picture of the Vampire from the 3.0 edition) and I love the inclusion of the Inevitables, Githyanki and Githzari. I also liked how 'classed' creatures were included with some critters (see the Ogre and Mind Flayer - good job). I guess I still will get the MM 3.5 - I have 2 copies fo every other MM for all the other editons, why not this one too? :D

Now the thing that droves me nuts about this new edition (aside from the fact that the game I play in is forcing me to change over to it :mad: ) are all the little changes to the spell lists and descriptions. These are incredibly annoying as they seem , to me, to be change for the sake of change. Shocking Grasp used to be a useful quick damage spell even up to high levels (good average damage potential for a 1st level spell). Now you betterbe lucky to get anything out of it. Command now limited to a set number of possiblities? Feh! Thanks for taking out any chance of originality. I won't even go into the dismantling of Haste and the Buff spells but I will ask if anyone's campaign was unbalanced becasue the Fighter could get a +2-4 on his attack and damage rolls?

Overall
Monster Manual = good
PHB & DMG (did I mention the now useless NPC tables?) = teh suck.

Remove ads