• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why does Invisibility work against undead?

knasser

First Post
First off, the idea undead can see invisible people but pretend they can't out of a sense of decorum is brilliant. It invites the question, "what is the etiquette of the dead, and what happens when & if they violate it?" - which I haven't had enough coffee (or maybe bourbon) yet to properly answer.

My advice would be to pick an explanation for undead vision and then work out some interesting implications.

Quick example: undead see life force.

Implication: the closer a person is to dead, the less well undead can see them.

So maybe PCs can "hide" from undead via self-inflicted wounds.

Maybe it's easier for low-level PCs to "hide" from undead -- i.e. character level = life force -- giving lower-level groups incentive to rob tombs full of more powerful undead they can't win straight-up fights with. This also creates an incentive for higher-level NPCs to hire scrubs for tomb-raiding.

This opens up space for custom spells with interesting trade-offs. Like an invisibility to undead spell that works by allowing the target to operate at 0 HP.

Maybe you interpret "close to death" more loosely, allowing PCs with debilitating illnesses (but full HP) to conceal themselves from undead.

Etc.

The life force idea is really neat. I love this sort of detail because it allows for clever tricks on the parts of the players like your self-inflicted wounds. It also opens the possibility that some life forces might be too "bright", such as a particularly holy cleric or a divine figure. Wraiths, skeletons, wights - they might raise their wrists to their eyes when someone casts a healing spell, cluing the players in to how the undead vision works, letting them come up with plans like the self-inflicted wounds.

In my campaign, the players encountered pirate skeletons wielding muskets, who had bright green glowing eyes in their eye sockets. I made it clear that the skeletons had been reanimated by some malevolent force, that had given them magical eyes to replace their missing fleshy eyes. The glowing eyes allowed them to identify their surroundings, and see enemies. But the spell did not bestow some sort of True Sight on them, so anyone who was invisible, was still invisible to the skeletons. Further more, the skeletons couldn't hear. I described the way the eyes looked, as a clue for the players that they might be deaf.

The spell that had reanimated the skeletons, only allowed the skeletons to follow very basic instructions, such as: Attack all intruders you see. The skeletons ignored other visuals, such as an open door that wasn't open before. Since they lacked any reasoning skills, they could not deduce a threat from seeing an open door. But they could respond to things being thrown or shot at them, as that was part of the instructions: Attack anyone that attacks you.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I would probably "wing it" (but consistently within the world/throughout a campaign) based on the undead's general level of power and origins.

"Mindless" undead, like skeletons and zombies (some lesser mummies, perhaps) I would probably rule simply don't have any perception greater than they had in life...and, well, they're "mindless," simple animated husks being directed by whatever force is animated, no actual "will" or capacity [or very limited] to "discern." So, Invisibility [as produced by general magic: spells, items, potions] is going to work just fine on them.

Ghouls, depending on how you play them, might also fall into that category. But, mindless or not, I would submit that ghouls might also present the same quandary as, say, a wolf (or bear or bloodhound or shark if you're bleeding in the water). Does typical magical "Invisibility" hide your scent? I think the answer is clearly a "no." But it is certainly open to interpretation.

Assuming a "no," I would say the ghouls, maybe wights as well (definitely vampires, for that matter) have a very good chance of "sniffing" you out when Invisible by the mere presence of your blood and flesh/general "living" bodily odor. Though they would not, "see" you.

Wights, vamps, and ghouls as well I guess, would almost certainly receive Infravision (still simply "Darkvision" per 5e). Being able to make out your bodily [living] heat. Though, in the case of magical Invisibility, I would rule the "cloaking" magic blocks -at the very least- infra- and ultra-vision as well...and so, bypasses 5e's Darkvision.

From Wraith on up...ghosts, "greater" mummies, vampires, spectres, liches, death knights...anything that is generally "free-willed" and able to discern I would say has a "Life SENSE" [Note: not "sight"]. A capacity to detect the presence of living souls/spirits, "radiant" energies, etc...

Like a reverse Paladinic "Divine Sense," or even the Ranger's "Primeval Sense" (or whatever it's called) that susses out undead/necrotic/evil concentrations of energies. Maybe starting at 30' rad. for the lower end, up to 50' or 100' for the "top-tiered" most powerful undead.

They're the one's that will notice "hey, there's a living soul slinking through my domain."

For these undead, I would say that your typical [2nd level spell grade] Invisibility isn't going to cut it. Invisibility sphere? No dice. That's just normal invisibility over an area. I'd probably make "Improved Invisibility" [what is that, now? a 4th level spell? 5th?] ok.

PS: Additional note on liches, I would think they all have a permanent "Detect Magic" radiating from their eyes...so just about any type of Invisible, "Life Sense" or not, you're going to be lit up like Chinese New Year to a lich.

Last edited:

Remove ads