D&D 5E Why does WotC put obviously bad or illogical elements in their adventures?

Satyrn

First Post
Ultimately, nobody thinks they're necessary (or worth the expense) until they become necessary. And then god help you if they turn on you (Praetorian Guard vs Caligula, anyone?)
Well, this is a good counter to the notion that Caesar didn't have elite guards.

Now, true, [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] didn't mean to Caligula Caesar, but Julius would've had his guards, too, since the Praetorian Guards started off as the elite guard to Roman Generals two centuries before Julius Caesar lived.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Also, there are bad and illogical people who like the bad and illogical material. You see them playing the apologist sometimes on various forums: "Yes it's perfectly sensible for the dungeon to be in orbit. In a fantasy setting. When no flight or 'port means exist. I read something like this in the Darkover books, and Ringworld too!"

Who's the you?

Edit: misread your post. Thought it said "you seem to be playing..." ! :D carry on...

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Can we drop this strawman? You're the only person pushing for it, and it's just so you can beat it so soundly. Competent != require elite.

Alright, fair enough.

How are a pair of hill giants not competent guards? They're tough enough to handle a lot of things. They're intelligent enough to stop people from going through the door. They're big enough that you can't really ignore them. So, what makes them incompetent?

I do believe, BTW, that someone used the term elite for the guards long before I did. So, why don't you complain about that?

----

Yup, thought so: From Post 9, by my count:

@Robus said:
So they take a good amount of time building a great adventure environment and then undermine it with lazy encounter building? Why? Any time you get to a palace situation you have elite guards - that's the trope.

So, instead of trying to complain about straw men and me introducing things that aren't there, perhaps a bit of reading might be a bit less embarrassing for you?

Last edited:

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
People are obsessed with elite guards despite the fact that this is the most trivial of issues with SKT. When there are gaping holes in logic elsewhere, why choose to focus on such a minor aspect?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
People are obsessed with elite guards despite the fact that this is the most trivial of issues with SKT. When there are gaping holes in logic elsewhere, why choose to focus on such a minor aspect?

Because it was the example I had in front of me at the time. And yes, it wasn't the question, but I do think there have been a number of responses to the bigger question:

a) it's the way it is, deal with it.
b) it's too expensive to do find and fix these things before publication
c) doing it differently would just upset a different group
d) you think this is bad you should see XYZ
e) I don't see a problem
f) Chris Perkins likes it this way

Hmm perhaps this should have been a survey?! :D

Remove ads