• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why don't Druids get charm animals and plants as a class ability?

Xvartslayer

First Post
Ah, I see. You like to see things organized in a certain way. That makes sense. But it's not really the difference between something being a "fussy little modifier" or not. It's just a matter of where you find it.

Also, this feature isn't anything like the current items listed in Druidcraft, so sticking it in would be an odd fit. (A Frankantrip, perhaps?) It's so much like Friends (more limited targets, but without the aftereffects) that it pretty clearly* would need to be a cantrip of its own. And then we've got more competition for a pretty tight cantrip budget.

No, I think I prefer it as a class ability. Compared to martial classes or fractional casters, casters already have very, very few class abilities in their chart. I could see tucking this into level 3 quite nicely.

*YMMV

I might have misunderstood the OP. My impression was that the OP was asking about a "Here wolfy, wolfy. What a nice, pretty wolf. You don't want bite your old friend do you? We are just gonna pass on by and leave you with your new bone. That's a good boy" situation. Tempting a cat out a tree, talking down an angry bear, befriending a guard dog, teaching a Venus Flytrap top ride a bicycle.

Pandaemoni

First Post
Actual druids, from history and legend, were not known to have an especially magical ability to charm or summon animals. What actual druids were and what they believed is complicated and controversial, but they are clearly associated with a reverence for certain trees and plants (like oak and mistletoe). From what we know, they seem to have engaged in ritual animal (including human) sacrifices as a part of their focus on ensuring a good harvest for their communities.

In modern time neo-druidic tradition has given then some greater association with animals, but not, imo, to the same extent as trees and crops. I am not sure they could charm plants though...

Kalshane

First Post
As others have suggested, I imagine adding a Cantrip (call it "Animal Empathy" for a callback to previous editions) that gives the caster Advantage on Wisdom (Animal Handling) and Charisma checks for 1 minute when interacting with Beasts would be the easiest solution. Lets it be a player choice and wouldn't be overpowered. (It might also be a tempting pickup for certain Nature clerics or Rangers [via the Magic Initiate feat])

Remove ads