• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why Has D&D, and 5e in Particular, Gone Down the Road of Ubiquitous Magic?

RotGrub

First Post
In one 2e campaign , I have a high level fighter/rogue with boots of flying, a ring of spell turning, ring of invisibility, and several other magical items. Using magic in that way is a ton of fun.

In the other campaign, a historical (green book) vikings campaign, I'm playing in my high level fighter who has practically no magic, except a few runes.

So, historically speaking D&D is quite versatile. I think that's one of the reasons why it's so popular.

With that said, I do wonder what kind of changes I would have to make to 5e classes to run a historical (legendary) campaign.

innerdude

Legend
Honestly I still feel like this is less of a game issue and more of a setting issue.

..snip..

Even if you have a whole party of magic users (4-6) that's 4-6 people in the WHOLE WORLD. 4-6 out of potentially millions of people. Just because the game story focuses on them doesn't make them any more or less prevalent in the world. You're talking about a .00004% difference in the magical population of a setting. Statistically, it's insignificant!

So if magic use is "too prevalent" for your (hypothetical your) tastes, just say it's rare in the world. Poof, now it is! I'm currently running a super-low magic setting, where there are probably oh, 5000/1 magic users. The whole PC party uses magic though! That just means there are at least 20000 (I have 4 players) people in the world...which there are way more than, so it's not a problem, not even close.

To sum up: The Game(TM) is just a set of rules. Without a setting to determine prevalence the fact that all 10 classes can use magic in some way is meaningless.

I agree this is a valid way to play. I did something very similar for the last fantasy campaign I ran in Savage Worlds. To be a caster at all, you have to take the "feat" (Savage Worlds calls them "Edges," but "feat" is the approximate equivalent) that allows you to do it. Simply taking the "feat" doesn't mean you're any GOOD at casting, but it does give the character access to a power pool source and a small set of initial spells.

It was easy to say to my players, "Just because your characters may have a magical background doesn't mean that magic is prevalent in this world. It is not. The general citizenry is aware of it, and know that people use it, but performing magic in a public place will always draw attention."

However --- While I completely agree with you that the GM can make these changes, D&D has not generally positioned its default settings (Greyhawk and now the Realms) in this manner, and Eberron specifically dials up magic ubiquity.

RotGrub

First Post
2. I would love more diverse options. But the problem with 5e isn't so much that it lacks diverse options, it's that some options are so ... preferable. And with the internet, the spread of information, and the ubiquity of optimization, once those preferable options are known, they quickly become standard.

Preferable options have been around since 1e. Even the weapon charts contain preferable options. Of course, options can also be selected for non-mechanical reasons. For example, if I envision my fighter using a short sword and not a long sword, I have every right to select that weapon for role playing reasons alone.

BryonD

Hero
The second point is a hard one. There's a fine line between "diverse options" when all you have is a large number of options that are just re-skinned versions of each other
Agreed. Though IMO 5E seriously lacks diverse options as well are your comments remaining true.

RotGrub

First Post
I agree! What weapon did you see in 1e? The long sword (d8, d12, lots of magic ones in modules, one handed).

And people certainly still make RP decisions (for example, right now I am consciously choosing to make certain RP decisions for a character that sacrifices damage in a game I am playing).

But that's the point I was getting to- there *is* a fair amount of variety in 5e; it's just that a lot of it is, to use your example, a short sword.

yeah, it's just a problem for those who refuse to select "sub optimal" options for the sake of min/maxing.

RotGrub

First Post
The second point is a hard one. There's a fine line between "diverse options" when all you have is a large number of options that are just re-skinned versions of each other (which gives you flavor, and options, and prevents too much optimization, but eventually becomes "meh" in sameness) and preventing a number of options that are mechanically distinct and fulfilling (which sounds awesome, but leads to increasing problems of balance when optimizers sink their teeth into it, and you end up with numerous options, of which only one gets chosen).

Our group experienced this issue and it was one of the reasons we stopped playing that edition.

pemerton

Legend
Prevalence in play seems to be more of a player and table issue. Don't want casters? Limit them.

<snip>

But I do also agree that everyone casting the same spells the same way is a problem, but it is probably superior to having a half-dozen different casting systems.
Again, from reading [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s posts, he isn't necessarily looking for magic-using classes to be limited (except maybe in Primeval Thule?). He wants them not to feel like somewhat-homogenised pew-pew-ers.

To give my own example - if you drop/limit magic-using classes altogether, then you don't have druids who can speak to animals, pass through overgrown plants, etc. But does bringing in that sort of magic have to also bring in at-will attack magic? Or even prevalent attack magic?

The answer in general is clearly No. But the answer in the 5e context seems to be Yes. As I said upthread, I think this is a combination of a particular design ethos: (1) every class is of (roughly) comparable effectiveness in combat; (2) magic-using classes will use magic as a key component of their effectiveness. I think you are right to list a third factor: (3) the same spell mechanic and overlapping spell lists will be the main mechanic for allowing magic-use.

AD&D obviously was somewhat less concerned about (1), but - and I think more significantly - wasn't really concerned about (2) at all. To the extent that clerics and druids were of comparable combat effectiveness, for instance (HD; good weapon choices; in the case of clerics, best armour in the game), it wasn't particularly because of their magic.

As I said in my original post way back, magic's rule-bending nature is attractive. Especially when many DMs will restrict martial classes beyond the rules because of some idea or another about "verisimilitude" and how "a fighter couldn't do that" even when there's no rule in the book imposing such a limit.
This is a distinct factor that pushes towards making otherwise martial or non-caster classes (rangers, monks, and arguably at least some paladins and bards also) into being magic users. As well as the "GM restriction" thing, there is also the fact that many abilities need to be rationed, and D&D has traditionally preferred to integrate ingame and metagame reasons for rationing, and the traditional way that is done is via the Vancian spell.

Both these factors seems to have had quite an influence on 5e's design - I assume in reaction to the hostility many D&D/PF players evinced to the way non-magical abilities were implemented in 4e.

S

Sunseeker

Again, from reading [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s posts, he isn't necessarily looking for magic-using classes to be limited (except maybe in Primeval Thule?). He wants them not to feel like somewhat-homogenised pew-pew-ers.

To give my own example - if you drop/limit magic-using classes altogether, then you don't have druids who can speak to animals, pass through overgrown plants, etc. But does bringing in that sort of magic have to also bring in at-will attack magic? Or even prevalent attack magic?
I think this is simply a matter of options, but at some point you have to stop and say "NO MORE!" because otherwise you're making books and books and books full of "options" for Druids so they can cast, so they can shapeshift, so they can attack with magic, so they can attack without magic, etc... So while I agree that the way things are leads to homogeneity, the alternative leads us to such an unimaginable glut that there's no real way to mange it all. We've seen the latter happen already. Speaking from a video-game perspective, when games cut down on glut (as World of Warcraft has done in the last couple years), it can lead to homogeneity. One of the areas that video games succeed where tabletop games don't is that a video game can give everyone an AOE attack, but use different animations for each class, giving an illusion of differentiation, while a TTRPG that's all in the mindscape. The ability is for all intents at purposes: "hit everyone within X for Y" but a TTRPG lacks the visualization. It's up to the player to imagine it. Is it a whirl of swords? An explosion of fire? A rain of hail? A tornado? A bunch of little gremlins? WOTC can attempt to fluff up the text, but that really leads to annoyance in attempting to glean what the spell actually does away from the floofy talk, and it also just stretches out what would otherwise have been a simple, short, concise ability into a long-winded novel.

One of the main things I liked about 4E was it did away with the novel-like spells.

This is a distinct factor that pushes towards making otherwise martial or non-caster classes (rangers, monks, and arguably at least some paladins and bards also) into being magic users. As well as the "GM restriction" thing, there is also the fact that many abilities need to be rationed, and D&D has traditionally preferred to integrate ingame and metagame reasons for rationing, and the traditional way that is done is via the Vancian spell.

Both these factors seems to have had quite an influence on 5e's design - I assume in reaction to the hostility many D&D/PF players evinced to the way non-magical abilities were implemented in 4e.
Sure, you'd have to be mad not to see 5E as 3.X LITE. Sure, there's a lot of bug fixes, there's some underground plumbing from 4E, but on the whole, it's a diet 3.x. But that's not to say 4E didn't have a similar layer of homogeneity, and in that respect, I find this whole thread funny. In terms of systems, 4E was MUCH more homogeneous than 5E, given that everyone used the AEDU system and that everyone was limited to roughly equal numbers of AEDU abilities. But people complained this system was too homogeneous, so they went back to the system that was less homogeneous.

So really I think it's funny. Just shows consumerism is alive and well in even the RPG market: people get what they want and still aren't happy.

pemerton

Legend
I think this is simply a matter of options, but at some point you have to stop and say "NO MORE!" because otherwise you're making books and books and books full of "options" for Druids so they can cast, so they can shapeshift, so they can attack with magic, so they can attack without magic, etc... So while I agree that the way things are leads to homogeneity, the alternative leads us to such an unimaginable glut that there's no real way to mange it all.
I don't agree with this. The AD&D PHB has its problems, but gluttishness isn't one of them. It just gives us clerics and druids as melee combatants.

while a TTRPG that's all in the mindscape. The ability is for all intents at purposes: "hit everyone within X for Y" but a TTRPG lacks the visualization. It's up to the player to imagine it. Is it a whirl of swords? An explosion of fire? A rain of hail? A tornado? A bunch of little gremlins? WOTC can attempt to fluff up the text, but that really leads to annoyance in attempting to glean what the spell actually does away from the floofy talk, and it also just stretches out what would otherwise have been a simple, short, concise ability into a long-winded novel.

One of the main things I liked about 4E was it did away with the novel-like spells.

<snip>

that's not to say 4E didn't have a similar layer of homogeneity, and in that respect, I find this whole thread funny. In terms of systems, 4E was MUCH more homogeneous than 5E, given that everyone used the AEDU system and that everyone was limited to roughly equal numbers of AEDU abilities. But people complained this system was too homogeneous, so they went back to the system that was less homogeneous.
On this, I can't speak for [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION].

Personally I find 4e less homogeneous: at the abstract metagame level the mechanics are similar (AEDU), but in the detail there is a wide range of flavours and a wide range of effects. For me, 5e has increased the homogeneity by closing the metagame/detail gap - via its casting rules - and by reducing the range of effects - by using common spells to fit the casters' spell lists. So while the metagame of resource suites is more varied, the actual flavour and detail of what is going on is reduced.

No doubt others have different responses - aesthetics is obviously a pretty subjective thing!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads