D&D 5E Why Has D&D, and 5e in Particular, Gone Down the Road of Ubiquitous Magic?

The thing, it is simply more fun for most people to be able to cast spells as a caster. I don't play a wizard because I want to do magic missile two times a day and be a commoner for the rest of it. Where's the fun in that?

Corpsetaker

First Post
The thing, it is simply more fun for most people to be able to cast spells as a caster. I don't play a wizard because I want to do magic missile two times a day and be a commoner for the rest of it. Where's the fun in that?
I'm sorry but you can't blame a system if you lack creativity. Wizard is not just a commoner when he runs out of spells. It appears to me that you are too reliant on "button pressing" and nothing outside of that. Depending on the edition you are using, Wizards do have skills and feats outside of spellcasting, as well as magic items. Also, the thing about playing a Wizard was strategy. You had to be strategic when choosing and casting your spells. Back during 2nd edition, a wizard could memorize a few spells in just a few hours so rarely were you ever stuck with none.

Please stop with the strawmans. I'm not blaming the system for my "lack of creativity." I'm stating that people who want to play spellcasters are doing so because they want to cast spells. If you want to have a discussion consider reading my posts and responding to what I'm saying, not the made-up argument in your head.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Please stop with the strawmans. I'm not blaming the system for my "lack of creativity." I'm stating that people who want to play spellcasters are doing so because they want to cast spells. If you want to have a discussion consider reading my posts and responding to what I'm saying, not the made-up argument in your head.
All spellcasters "cast spells" and have from the beginning your first part has no relevance. The number of times you can cast spells doesn't make you any more or less a Wizard but it does have an impact on the game as a whole. You are the one who brought up about being a commoner once you cast all of your spells and I was showing how wrong you are because there are other things there than just spells. Spells aren't the only thing that makes you a Wizard and "pew pew" magic doesn't change this. Nobody has made up anything, you are the one who made the statement.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I've mentioned it before in this thread, this is exactly what I want to do when I play wizard, I want to fall back on my magic and not have to fall back on a crossbow or a sling. Having to resort to weapons doesn't make me feel like a wizard. I'm a magic-user, I should be capable of using magic for my basic attacks. The addition of at-wills was one of the things I liked best about 4e and I'm really glad they carried it over for spellcasters.
Not sure about you but my Wizards would fall back on scrolls, potions, a staff, and/or wand.

I'm pretty sure having scrolls, potions, staves, and wands contribute to the increase in magic. Don't argue against yourself now. [MENTION=6776548]Corpsetaker[/MENTION]

Corpsetaker

First Post
Which is all well and good when you have them. Those first few levels though, you may be lucky to have a couple of scrolls your potions are probably aren't going to be terribly useful in combat, and you are unlikely to have a wand or staff unless your DM is giving them out like candy. Even in 3e, where wizards start with scribe scroll, the cost to create scroll is fairly prohibitive at low levels since, although the xp cost is negligible, the gold cost isn't.
Which represents you as being a rookie Wizard. Usually by 2nd or even 3rd level you were finding items and gold.

Corpsetaker

First Post
I'm pretty sure having scrolls, potions, staves, and wands contribute to the increase in magic. Don't argue against yourself now. [MENTION=6776548]Corpsetaker[/MENTION]
Mmmmmm no. It all depends on how often you are able to use them and how often you find them. being able to cast something an infinite amount of times is not the same thing. If you want to go this route then you are going to have to do better than that.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Which is all well and good when you have them. Those first few levels though, you may be lucky to have a couple of scrolls your potions are probably aren't going to be terribly useful in combat, and you are unlikely to have a wand or staff unless your DM is giving them out like candy. Even in 3e, where wizards start with scribe scroll, the cost to create scroll is fairly prohibitive at low levels since, although the xp cost is negligible, the gold cost isn't.
In Pathfinder creating magic items is done strictly using gold and that is given out in an abundance.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads