Why I don't support my LGS

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
BryonD said:
Can you provide provide the quotes that back up this claim?

Do I need to? I assume that you can read the thread. The initial post is a complaint about a game store not operating like the poster thinks that it should. Nearly every subsequent post is a "Right on, brother!" gripe about other anecdotal instances in which stores are 'bad' because they fail to operate as those posters feel that they should. Then you have the fallacious "The customer is always right!" stuff dribbling in toward the end.

I'm aware thet the idea of a retailer not being controlled solely by the individual consumer is an unpopular one, but that's the reality of retail. As an individual, the consumer has no power over how a store owner chooses to operate their business. The final decision of how things get done is up to the retailer, not you (the individual consumer). Again, the individual consumer isn't nearly as important as they like to think they are.

If a store's success or failure really does hinge on the patronage of one individual, then that store has problems in steep excess of poor customer service.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Corvidae said:
Just to put in my two cents, Gatekeeper is great, but so is "Tabletop games" in nearby Kansas City. I guess I have been spoiled. My two local games stores are the best I have ever been in.

I always had problems getting to Tabletop because of location, so hit Monte's instead. That said, yes, Tabletop is a great KC-area store :)

Corvidae

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
You guys need to get unique avatars.

Sorry, I like my mask,
And I can tell the difference, If I did not write something, the other mask probably did :D
(Sorry, I have a very common name, and so when I am talking with someone with the same name it is no problem, when a third person joins us, it gets difficult, but I still always find it funny)

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
jdrakeh said:
Do I need to?
Yep. Can you? I think you can't.
I assume that you can read the thread.
That is correct, and I see a lot of people saying they won't return to a place that has treated them poorly. I don't seeing anyone demanding pyres.

I'm aware thet the idea of a retailer not being controlled solely by the individual consumer is an unpopular one, but that's the reality of retail. As an individual, the consumer has no power over how a store owner chooses to operate their business. The final decision of how things get done is up to the retailer, not you (the individual consumer). Again, the individual consumer isn't nearly as important as they like to think they are.

If a store's success or failure really does hinge on the patronage of one individual, then that store has problems in steep excess of poor customer service.
Two funny facts:
Rude clerks tend to be rude to each individual, not just select individuals.
Those individuals tend to add up.

Anyway, who said anything about power over the store owner? (Quote again please?)
I just saw people saying that they wouldn't shop there.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Given how poorly comics and game shops do nationwide, I don't know if I'd describe that as a winning strategy.

Correlation does not imply causation. Game stores do poorly, sure. And while we have only anecdotal evidence that they generally have poor service, I'll accept the posit for the moment. That does not speak to what is the cause for either. We can speculate that the causation can go either way.

If forced to guess, I'd probably say that the generally high price of real-estate (and thus high price of storefront space) combined with the niche market is the real culprit behind it all. That means the stores don't do well, and that means there's a disincentive to hire really skilled help in the store.

Plus, I'll be honest - I don't think anyone who is not a gamer themselves can provide what another gamer would call "expert" advice or information on gaming materials. Can you just imagine a standard retail salesperson used to working with high-priced shoes or clothing trying to absorb the bazillion bits of information in RPGs, minis, and card games all at once? While it is true that the OP's case doesn't hinge on that, it does count into the equation - for a niche market, finding one who can do both, even with learning and training, may be difficult.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Umbran said:
Correlation does not imply causation. Game stores do poorly, sure. And while we have only anecdotal evidence that they generally have poor service, I'll accept the posit for the moment. That does not speak to what is the cause for either. We can speculate that the causation can go either way.

If forced to guess, I'd probably say that the generally high price of real-estate (and thus high price of storefront space) combined with the niche market is the real culprit behind it all. That means the stores don't do well, and that means there's a disincentive to hire really skilled help in the store.

Plus, I'll be honest - I don't think anyone who is not a gamer themselves can provide what another gamer would call "expert" advice or information on gaming materials. Can you just imagine a standard retail salesperson used to working with high-priced shoes or clothing trying to absorb the bazillion bits of information in RPGs, minis, and card games all at once? While it is true that the OP's case doesn't hinge on that, it does count into the equation - for a niche market, finding one who can do both, even with learning and training, may be difficult.

Which is why reseraching a product online then buying from Amazon or a similar service at a nice discout over retail is the winner!

AGFlynn

First Post
Well, my local store is great and I treasure it. Just in case any Torontonians are reading this it's WATCHER COMICS on Queen Street East. Friendly, knowledgable staff who will get you whatever you need.

Edgewood

First Post
Umbran said:

In addition to the above, game stores also have to diversify into comics, cards, books, minis, and to a lesser degree possibly action figures, and toys just to remain competitive. If the comic industry falters (and it certainly has since the heady days of the late 80's to early 90's) or the card game sector has a downslide (which also happened shortly after the pokemon craze) that will impact the bottom line of any gamestore. Couple that with a fan base that can prove to be both fickle and manic in its demands for their form of entertainment, and you have the ingredients for a profit margin that is razor-thin at best.

Remove ads