• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why I submitted to the WOTC setting proposal...

Kai Lord

Hero
1. $120,000. I admit it. When I saw that number, I thought, okay, I can spare a few hours to put something together. Role-playing is a fun side hobby, but 120 big ones can have an enormously positive effect on my LIFE, and the lives of those close to me. Hell, even if I was rich I would have done it for the money. 100 pages for a free Ferrari to drive on the weekends? Count me in. :cool:

2. Seeing the gods I created illustrated by Brom or Todd Lockwood. Seeing some of the denizens of my world illustrated by WAR. Too cool.

3. Assuming they don't deviate too much from the spirit of the setting (and if they do, so what, I'll live), seeing a series of fantasy novels written by the likes of Troy Denning. The Prism Pentad, but with *my* setting and themes? Who knows, but it could happen....and that's just sweet.

4. Glancing at a message board like this one and reading threads by other folks like you discussing campaigns in a world *I* conceptualized.

5. Seeing people bitch about the things they don't like about my world. This might even be more entertaining than reading praise. ;)

6. The possibility of cracking open a hardcover sourcebook and seeing my name on the first page. I could live with that.

7. Because I genuinely like my idea, and the creative stimulation generated by the proposal request was too great not to follow through on.

Good fun all around. Looking forward to July 3rd.....

Oni

First Post
That pretty much sums it up, I would only add that personally I was happy that it gave me something to do at my otherwise very boring job for a couple of weeks.

kingpaul

First Post
Oni said:
That pretty much sums it up, I would only add that personally I was happy that it gave me something to do at my otherwise very boring job for a couple of weeks.
I'd watch it if your settings makes the final round. If you used company time/resources to do your proposal, your company might very well own your work...or nail you for misuse of company time/resources.

Oni

First Post
Nah, I work as a lifeguard at pool that sees very little use, and so I would write stuff in a note book to take home and sort through later.

For instance yesterday at work on a 6 hour shift a total three people came in and swam, so thats a lot of down time to deal with. My supervisor recommended to me when I took the job that I should bring other things to do or I wouldn't last very long and so I don't think I'll have to worry about any sort abuse of company time being an issue.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
I submitted proposals to the setting search for all those reasons plus one...

As a learning freelance writer, I discovered that my biggest problem was "doing" rather than "talking about it." Talk and talk about doing writing, but not actually doing it.

So, I got off my duff, wrote the proposals, and mailed them in. The sense of completion from that alone, whether I go on to the next round or not, is all good for me.

Now I'm working on other projects and contests, knowing I can finish a piece of work and mail it. Once I've finished it, I send it.

And the simple act of mailing it out separates the talkers from the doers.

teitan

Legend
One reason

I submitted for one reason, it looked like fun. I doubt they will buy it from me, but hey I had fun creating it and that is the only reason I submitted. Oh and I got to get ideas down that I have had in my head for years.

Jason

Kai Lord

Hero
Scribe Ineti said:

And the simple act of mailing it out separates the talkers from the doers.

Ah, too true my friend. Even after reading a plethora of reasons some people "chose" not to send in their proposals, in the end a friend and I just thought our idea was too great not to mail in. Just sending it in gave me a fulfilling assurance that I took advantage of an oppurtunity unique to the hobby in a way that may never manifest again.

And any warm fuzzies to be had that the idea was legally "mine" were quickly dispelled by the thought of being able clear college loans and put a healthy down payment on a house.

Last edited:

Morgenstern

First Post
Kai Lord said:
5. Seeing people bitch about the things they don't like about my world. This might even be more entertaining than reading praise. ;)

It's not as much fun as it sounds. Promise :p.
...But it is fun bringing people 'round to seeing the virtues in your work that made you do it that way in the first place :D

6. The possibility of cracking open a hardcover sourcebook and seeing my name on the first page. I could live with that.

That part, I can assure you, is Extremely cool :D

Best of luck to everyone. I'm pretty sure I botched mine on a technicality, but I'll look forward to putting it up on the forum here with the rest. It was fun to build and intriguing to summarize.

Kai Lord

Hero
Morgenstern said:

It's not as much fun as it sounds. Promise :p.
...But it is fun bringing people 'round to seeing the virtues in your work that made you do it that way in the first place :D

That part, I can assure you, is Extremely cool :D

Right on. I don't immediately recognize your handle. Would you mind telling what you've had published that I might be familiar with?

mmadsen

First Post
4. Glancing at a message board like this one and reading threads by other folks like you discussing campaigns in a world *I* conceptualized.

After reading your number four, I was all ready to oh-so-cleverly hit you with...your number five. You beat me to it. Well played, Kai Lord! ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads