• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why is D&D for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
The Grumpy Celt said:
Well, they are probably willing to sell D&D. For that matter, they might sell all the rights to Monopoly, if the price were right. But who would fork over the cash for D&D. It may not be a big earner, but it still has a lot invested in it and I don't know who would be willing and able to purchase it.

Also, buying D&D is one thing. Having the money to run it, is another thing. So we're not only looking for someone to pony up the money for the brand, but also the money to pay wages for designers, marketers, graphic staff, management, pay the printers and shipments and all that on top of that.

/M

mattcolville

Adventurer
Glyfair said:
No, I think decisions at this level are made by Hasbro. Do you think it was WotC that made the decision to sell the electronic rights to D&D (along with Hasbro's other IP) to Infogrames for 15 years?

Decisions about specific products are certainly things that are made at WotC's level. Maybe Hasbro will suggest something (we have a big GI Joe push this year, do you think you could create a one-off GI Joe RPG?). However, decisions about selling brands are something that Hasbro certainly makes, perhaps with some input from WotC (we aren't doing anything with this Dune license, perhaps it should lapse).

I'm telling you how it was when I worked there. I can tell you, for instance, that no one at Hasbro had any idea anyone at WotC was working on anything Dune-related.

Hasbro doesn't manage its divisions that way. The decisions it makes are global ("cut 15% of staff across the board.") It's doesn't manage the brands owned by the specific divisions. Hasbro probably doesn't really know how profitable or valuable D&D is.

RyanD

Adventurer
Razz said:
If D&D is doing so well, as stated constantly over and over by WotC, then why is it up for sale?

It is not.

I know for a fact that at least two firm, reasonable offers at valuations in the eight digit range (and the significant digit was not a '1' or a '2') were made by parties with more than enough capital to close the transaction, and that both were rejected. Hasbro & WotC consider D&D a 'strategic brand' and they have no interest in selling it.

Ryan

Razz

Banned
Banned
RyanD said:
It is not.

I know for a fact that at least two firm, reasonable offers at valuations in the eight digit range (and the significant digit was not a '1' or a '2') were made by parties with more than enough capital to close the transaction, and that both were rejected. Hasbro & WotC consider D&D a 'strategic brand' and they have no interest in selling it.

Ryan

Thanks for clearing that up with me. I guess I will show my friend this forum and have him read the posts here and have him say what he thinks. It's bad enough I'm the one being made to look like an ass here by the posters on this thread for even bringing it up, I don't think I should be his meat shield for this.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
RyanD said:
It is not.

Ryan

This makes the most sense to me. D&D is a name brand. The granddaddy of role-playing games, just as MtG is the granddaddy of the collectible card games. There is value just in the name and its instant recognition.

And unlike product lines like My Little Pony, the target demographic is not continuously rolling over as they outgrow it. You lose some people as they grow older, but not the same amount that children's toys do, and you gain some as well.

While it may not generate insane money like My Little Pony can during the Christmas season, it is a fairly reliable line that I'm sure can be counted on to provide steady revenue through all its parts. That is worth more than short term gain of selling it off.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And they are hunting mummys with John F. Kennedy in their retirement home.

Y'know- I found JFK's story compellingly believable, but that whole Elvis impersonator switcheroo was simply too outre to be true! ;)

At least they got the stoopid mummy...

teitan

Legend
Hobo said:
No they wouldn't. It's debatable whether or not White Wolf will still be in the RPG business a year from now, frankly.

No it isn't. They are the number 2 company and far outsell the rest of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads