Why is it called "3.5e"?

Ranger REG

Explorer
Zerovoid said:
I really have no idea why its called 3.5. It should be called 3.1. I think that was an often used term before Wizards started referring to the revision as 3.5.
But that would mean that there may be versions 3.2, 3.3, 3.4, etc., waiting in the wing. And you know how we hate to have to keep buying the same books with mostly the same set of rules, or ever-changing rules that they can't all agree upon for at least 5 years.

Besides, this version should have been considered 3.3, since it came out 3 years after the launch of 3e. That's about 2 years too early for a revision, if you ask me.

Too bad they didn't do a rules questionnaire about how we like the 3e rules. Instead, they just lurk in messageboards to get a feel for the consumers, which is okay, but that is only a vocal minority.

Conaill

First Post
Myself and a lot of other gamers wanted the new revision to be 3.1 in spirit - i.e. only introducing corrections and clarifications, no fundamental changes to the actual rules. However, WotC management decided they wanted something much closer to an actual new edition, incorporating rule changes that went way beyond simple clarifications etc. Which is why they decided to call it "3.5" rather than "3.1"

Ranger REG

Explorer
Conaill said:
Myself and a lot of other gamers wanted the new revision to be 3.1 in spirit - i.e. only introducing corrections and clarifications, no fundamental changes to the actual rules.
There is a 3.1 version. It's called Third Edition Second Printing. :D

But to be honest with you, I do like some of the "baby step" revisions, even though I'm not completely satisfied. For example, the ranger's combat path options, albeit granted at second level and there no lessening the restriction (even gradual) on armor. The monk's base attack bonus and flurry of blows to replace the oft-confusing UAB.

I sincerely hope that by 2010, they compiled and released what the majority of D&D fans want in the 4e ruleset.

omedon

First Post
I think it is named 3.5e because it is halfway between 3e and 4e.

Since 3e came out 3 years ago I expect to see 4e hitting the shelves of my FLGS in within 3 years time.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
omedon said:
I think it is named 3.5e because it is halfway between 3e and 4e.

Since 3e came out 3 years ago I expect to see 4e hitting the shelves of my FLGS in within 3 years time.

Exactly. It subconsciously acclimates the masses to the eventuality of a new revision every three years and the promise of 4.0 to come. It casts off the pretense of new editions under the guise of optional expansions by laying out in no uncertain terms the exactitude of numerical acquiescence. It smooths the road, clears the tracks, and greases the wheels for the marketing machine of future inevitability. Place your pre-orders today! ;)

diaglo

Adventurer
johnsemlak said:
Hmmm, what is it exactly that the majority of fans want? :rolleyes:

Original D&D(1974) the only true game. :D

by then i will have converted the world back to its former greatness.

WizarDru

Adventurer
diaglo said:
Original D&D(1974) the only true game.
biggrin.gif

by then i will have converted the world back to its former greatness.
Yeah, because you've been so successful at it, so far.
rolleyes.gif

Remove ads