Spelljammer Why is the upcoming Spelljammer book worth getting excited about?

I know nothing about Spelljammer, but I do like sailing ships and adventure. However when I look at Spelljammer art it seems like it's a bit too sci-fantasy for my more regular fantasy taste, and isn't sailing the Astral Sea kind of a super high level activity? I guess I'm wondering what kind of low/mid-level adventure is to be had in a setting like this?

So, what's up with Spelljammer and why is it cool?
Did you watch the trailer?

D1Tremere

Adventurer
Spell Jammer has always been one of my favorite settings, largely because I see it as a tool/mechanic more than a setting. Much like traveling across a continent or ocean can be a great way to introduce new adventures and locals, doing the same thing across the planer multiverse is even cooler in my book. Maybe you like playing in Forgotten Realms but you want your players to visit Eberron. Send them on a ship voyage across the astral sea! Low level? No problem! Experienced crew fly the ship while the party fends off Illithid pirates or negotiates with pushy Giff navy officers.
My Plan is to use Spelljammer academy as the graduate school for my Strixhaven players once they complete that adventure path.

I know nothing about Spelljammer, but I do like sailing ships and adventure. However when I look at Spelljammer art it seems like it's a bit too sci-fantasy for my more regular fantasy taste, and isn't sailing the Astral Sea kind of a super high level activity? I guess I'm wondering what kind of low/mid-level adventure is to be had in a setting like this?

So, what's up with Spelljammer and why is it cool?
Pseudo-medieval stuff is very dull for my taste. People are different, and like different stuff. It's good that WotC are catering to different kinds of people. Personally, I shall be giving Dragonlance a huge miss.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases