D&D 5E Why is there a limit to falling damage?

Oofta

Legend
He falls a lot further than 20' (6 metres) and Kirks Redshirt had a parachute as well.

Plot armor is Hit points. Hit points are [among other things) Luck, with high level PCs having tons of it. Absurd levels of it in fact.

So much luck that high level PCs can fall into active volcanoes, or off mountains, and survive on account of some lucky contrivance.

The trick is in the narration of that lucky contrivance. Did they land on a rocky outcrop and avoid the magma (taking 100 points of 'luck damage' from the magma as they do so) or did they land on the back of a friendly Giant Eagle as they lept off a giant tower (taking 100 points of damage from the fall) as they did so.

If you want to run it that way, feel free. I'll continue to run my game trying to avoid obvious refrigerator moments.

I will admit, I was glad he was unhurt....but lowkey disappointed he did not get up and yell "Khaaan!"

1593968564453.png

To be fair, Batman does have infinite plot armor as his super power. Because Batman.
C'mon man.. We're all rogues here Indy's got the plot armor to pull off refrigerator-based evasion.

It's a distinction without a difference. They're both doing unbelievable things and that's the point. What makes those things acceptable but barbarians toughness things egregious somehow?

Remove ads