Why is there no talk about the Castle Keepers Guide preview?

Treebore

First Post
If he's working for a bank, library, school, or government then I wouldn't expect a response. But I don't know many other businesses that take off for the Holiday. I know I'll be in the office all day tomorrow.

These are the Trolls, they make up their own schedule, so if they decided to go somewhere for the weekend, then we won't see them until Tuesday. Then again, they may very well go to work on Monday. I am just going to assume Tuesday, because that is what I would do if I were my own boss, which Steve is.

S'mon

Legend
C&C is ok, but I'm finding I like OSRIC a lot better - the writing is better, it has more stuff in one book, it's 100% AD&D compatible instead of just 95%, it's cheaper, and I'm finding I like the AD&Disms which C&C discarded. C&C's core system is good as a stripped-down 3e though.

Votan

Explorer
Well, Paizo's core rulebook PDF is 576 pages for $10, so this book, at $32 must have over 1,500 pages!

I do think Pathfinder and Castles and Crusades have different business models as the Pathfinder SRD is pretty complete and available online. I think Paizo is trying to sell a system (which they support with subscriptions) whereas TrollLord is trying to sell gaming books. That said, the price points made buying the perfect bound version the obvious choice to me.

rogueattorney

Adventurer
I was surprised at the rpg.net thread. At this point, why would anyone expect a TLG product to be well-edited or laid out? Buyers of TLG products should know what they are going to get on that front.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I was surprised at the rpg.net thread. At this point, why would anyone expect a TLG product to be well-edited or laid out? Buyers of TLG products should know what they are going to get on that front.

Blog20-20Hope20Springs20Eternal.jpg

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yeah. Paizo is selling a quality product at a price point even people who don't normally buy PDFs might pay, and C&C is selling 5th grade English for premium prices.
1) Let's not overstate the writing and editing quality in other RPGs; it's disingenuous. I bet almost everyone on this thread knows which company made "see Page XX" infamous, for instance.
2) Compare the prices of the C&C hard copy books to others in the industry. If anything, their hardcover books are cheaper than they ought to be.

pawsplay

Hero
1) Let's not overstate the writing and editing quality in other RPGs; it's disingenuous. I bet almost everyone on this thread knows which company made "see Page XX" infamous, for instance.

Let's not overstate the writing and editing quality of the CKG.

What point are you trying to make about "page XX?" I can't even discern how it's pertinent to this discussion. It's unfortunate when editing errors occur, but that's a whole different scenario than a general lack of good editing.

2) Compare the prices of the C&C hard copy books to others in the industry. If anything, their hardcover books are cheaper than they ought to be.

They cost the same as anyone else that uses POD on the cheap. And I would be reluctant to purchase hard copy from them, anyway, consider the extent of changes between 1st and 4th edition. I understand it was reader feedback tthat helped them fix some bad math in their original presentation of the SIEGE mechanics.

Remove ads