Why modern movies suck - they teach us awful lessons

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I'm also going to point out that if you're an adult, and you're looking to movies for your lessons ... maybe you're doing it wrong?

Good movies ... really good movies ... don't teach you lessons. Good movies force you to think, not provide pat answers.

If you want a good lesson about morality, read Aesop's fables. Otherwise, maybe don't look to blockbusters for great cinema. IMO.

Zardnaar

Legend
I'm also going to point out that if you're an adult, and you're looking to movies for your lessons ... maybe you're doing it wrong?

Good movies ... really good movies ... don't teach you lessons. Good movies force you to think, not provide pat answers.

If you want a good lesson about morality, read Aesop's fables. Otherwise, maybe don't look to blockbusters for great cinema. IMO.

This heavy handed preaching in movies tend to go down like a lead balloon.

But a good one will make you think and hopefully you enjoy it but not all movies are for enjoyment.

Ryujin

Legend
This heavy handed preaching in movies tend to go down like a lead balloon.

But a good one will make you think and hopefully you enjoy it but not all movies are for enjoyment.
Something else that a film buff friend thinks goes over like a lead balloon, in "modern" movies, is a sound track that tells you how a scene is supposed to make you feel. That can also be rather heavy-handed.

From this, we get a story as old as Hollywood. Directors will often get co-writing credit. Sometimes very deserved, sometimes somewhat deserved, sometimes ... well, sometimes they get a credit.
OK lets disregard any film that had the director as co-writer. In 2021 five nominees had the director as the sole writer and only one the director was not involved in the writing at all. In 2022 five nominees the director had the sole screenplay credit (one was based on a novel and one had a story credit) and only two did not give the director any writing credit.

I still think that is a pretty compelling rebuttal to the argument "movies are bad because directors try to write them."

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
For a lot of them, that became their full time job. That's why the constant rejigging of the payment structure has hurt them so badly.
Oh! I am well aware of that. I started slightly before the adpocalypse and got the threshold for monetisation. The Google changed the rules around the time I had earned 40 cents. Then all my videos demonetised and they still owe me 40 cents.
That is while Patreon is so important to many. But there are several I know that also do it full time and hold down a regular job. That I think is pretty astounding.

Ryujin

Legend
Oh! I am well aware of that. I started slightly before the adpocalypse and got the threshold for monetisation. The Google changed the rules around the time I had earned 40 cents. Then all my videos demonetised and they still owe me 40 cents.
That is while Patreon is so important to many. But there are several I know that also do it full time and hold down a regular job. That I think is pretty astounding.
One rather well known Youtuber, who was making some serious money and ended up meeting many geek celebs (like Stan the Man multiple times), ended up getting hit so bad by the adpocalypse that she started selling nude calendars and posting the nude of the day, on Patreon.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
OK lets disregard any film that had the director as co-writer. In 2021 five nominees had the director as the sole writer and only one the director was not involved in the writing at all. In 2022 five nominees the director had the sole screenplay credit (one was based on a novel and one had a story credit) and only two did not give the director any writing credit.

I still think that is a pretty compelling rebuttal to the argument "movies are bad because directors try to write them."

Oh, sorry. I completely agree with your last statement. That's a silly argument, and I can't imagine making it.

I was just noting that giving the director a writing credit doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot about the amount that they wrote. A Tarantino (for example) who prides themselves on their writing is the exception, not the rule. Often, the writing is minor editing or consulting.

Remove ads