D&D 5E Why no announcement for a Wizard's Presents 2023 for August yet?

Why no announcement for a Wizard's Presents 2023 for August yet?

It should have been announced by now, for what to expect in 2024 for D&D & MtG.

Might we not get that this year?

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter

Not sure, but the D&D publishing schedule for this year is already all screwed up due to the delays. They now have to market five different books between August and November, and I can see not wanting to muddy the waters by announcing even more upcoming stuff until after at least a couple of those are in-market.

The 2024 lineup will also include the new core books - push those too hard now, and you could hurt sales of the 2023 books because some folks will consider them "obsolete" because they are "5E" but "don't call it One D&D" is right around the corner. I know WotC is trying to emphasize that "everything" is backwards compatible, but not everyone is going to get/understand/believe that message.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's the revised core rulebooks and the Vecna storyline as far as we know yet. But before then is Bigby, Phandelver, Planescape, and Many Things. I would imagine there's only so much publicity bandwidth before people start losing track of what's coming.

Up until recently they only told us about the next book after the previous one was released... most of what we knew came from leaks and stuff. Knowing 4 books in advance, plus another 3 for next year, as we do right now, is almost unprecedented in the 5E era!

Parmandur

Book-Friend

No guarantee that D&D will repeat that again: they never did it before 2022, amd there was a major leadership change within the past year on the D&D side.

Alternatively, they can announce a Durect style experience very shortly before it drops.

The comingsoon sourcebooks have been delayed. Other reason is if they can get some new licence, then the future projects could be altered.

My theory is the announcement of the future titles will be after the release of Planescape. Then they will have chosen the strategy for the next year.

And now 2023 is an economic year with a lot of troubles. It is not the best time for risky bets.

Remove ads