Why no Half-elf/Half-orcs?

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
I
...I wonder why the same wasn't always applied to half-orcs (orc/humans): I'd say that they're usually the result of rape, too, and humans are probably not that much friendlier towards orcs than elves. So a human mother (or her family, neighbours and so on) would probably act the same.

You obviously aren't a mother. ;) A mother isn't necessarily so quick to kill her own baby (although of course that can happen). I can see a human mother being *protective* of her half-orc spawn. "Back off! He's my baby! I don't care what his father was!" Also, remember that many half-orcs look similar enough to humans to pass as "ugly humans" instead of "tusk-toothed monsters".

Kae'Yoss said:
As for half-orcs born from orc parents, I assume that most wouldn't survive that long, because they're weak.

Half-orcs aren't always the result of rape, though . . . I don't have my PHB in front of me, but it says something like "Out in the wild frontier regions human and orc barbarian tribes often intermingle, blah blah blah". It is suggested that barbaric humans have no problem willingly mating with an orc from a friendly or neutral tribe.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Shortman McLeod said:
You obviously aren't a mother. ;)

Nope. Would be quite a trick, too.

A mother isn't necessarily so quick to kill her own baby (although of course that can happen).

That's why I included family and friends.

I can see a human mother being *protective* of her half-orc spawn. "Back off! He's my baby! I don't care what his father was!"

I never was in the situation, but I can see how mothers that were subject to rape are more likely to hate their children, them being a reminder of the traumatic events they had to endure.

And there's abortion. It happens a lot in this world, and I can see it happen in a D&D world. I'm sure there's ways to do that without today's high-tech hospitals.

Zurai

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
And there's abortion. It happens a lot in this world, and I can see it happen in a D&D world. I'm sure there's ways to do that without today's high-tech hospitals.
Tansy causes miscarriages in pregnant women even if consumed in nonlethal quantities. I've seen references to it being used as an aborticant (is that a word?) before.

Shortman McLeod

First Post
Zurai said:
Tansy causes miscarriages in pregnant women even if consumed in nonlethal quantities. I've seen references to it being used as an aborticant (is that a word?) before.

Not to be cranky or anything, but is an abortion discussion really where we want this thread to go? If ever there was a combination of religion and politics, it is the topic of abortion.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
As for half-orcs born from orc parents, I assume that most wouldn't survive that long, because they're weak.
eh, mostly balanced in the daylight, plus they can scout better and unlike orcs have one casting stat they aren't penalized in. I wonder if half orcs raised among orcs should have favored class ranger instead of barbarian, seems like more the niche they would fill in an orc tribe...

Klaus

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
eh, mostly balanced in the daylight, plus they can scout better and unlike orcs have one casting stat they aren't penalized in. I wonder if half orcs raised among orcs should have favored class ranger instead of barbarian, seems like more the niche they would fill in an orc tribe...
When I wrote the article "Orc Blood!?" for Fiery Dragon, I postulated that half-orcs growing up among orcs could never rise to lead a tribe openly, but were clever and alert enough to become a "power behind the throne". And they become priests easier than full-blooded orcs.

Remove ads