D&D (2024) Why no new packs since late September?

R_J_K75

Legend
Changing the levels where classes get features, feats, ASI, etc, changing all feats to 1/2 feats, normalizing subclasses, and more means this will not be backwards compatible as most people would use the phrase.
Yeah, 6e proponents really seem to feel that changes to the fundamental math of the game are the only thing that affects backward compatibility. We'll have to see if the fanbase agrees, but I really doubt it.
I really doubt that backwards compatibility is possible and prefer they just give it up; they tried it originally for 5E and we know that didnt work.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I really doubt that backwards compatibility is possible and prefer they just give it up; they tried it originally for 5E and we know that didnt work.
It's theoretically possible, it's just not actually possible with even the changes they've presented so far. That's why I think it's a marketing gimmick to ease edition-change panic. For some reason people seem to thing that changing what level you get abilities, how feats function, whether feats are optional or not, etc somehow doesn't "change the math." Which is silly. It explicitly does change the math. Add in all the explicit power creep and then stand the 2014 ranger that was an underperforming joke already next to the 2024 ranger...yeah, no one's going to want the even weaker 2014 ranger in their party.

Clint_L

Hero
It's theoretically possible, it's just not actually possible with even the changes they've presented so far. That's why I think it's a marketing gimmick to ease edition-change panic. For some reason people seem to thing that changing what level you get abilities, how feats function, whether feats are optional or not, etc somehow doesn't "change the math." Which is silly. It explicitly does change the math. Add in all the explicit power creep and then stand the 2014 ranger that was an underperforming joke already next to the 2024 ranger...yeah, no one's going to want the even weaker 2014 ranger in their party.
No, it's actually possible. In fact, it's happened. I am currently playing a Way of Mercy monk, which is FAR better than any monk sub-class in 2014. Yet all of the old books still work fine. We're still playing 5e. All that changed is monks got better.

So if you are still playing through, say, Lost Mines of Phandelver but now your Ranger is better, I don't think most of us would see that as fundamentally a new experience. But you try and run 2014 PHB rules with a 4e adventure and see how that goes.

R_J_K75

Legend
I know I'm no longer their target demographic, so I don't think my opinion really matters. I'd just prefer 6E, one that has something new and innovative to add to the game. For example, 3E introduced skills and feats, reduced the amount of saving throws. 5E introduced advantage/disadvantage, all made the game feel new. So, unless they shake things up and add some new game features, I don't think 1D&D is for me. Hopefully I'm wrong and it comes out great.

No, it's actually possible. In fact, it's happened. I am currently playing a Way of Mercy monk, which is FAR better than any monk sub-class in 2014. Yet all of the old books still work fine. We're still playing 5e. All that changed is monks got better.

So if you are still playing through, say, Lost Mines of Phandelver but now your Ranger is better, I don't think most of us would see that as fundamentally a new experience. But you try and run 2014 PHB rules with a 4e adventure and see how that goes.
That would require some reworking on encounters to make them the same challenge level though. In theory they're compatible, but in practice the 5e stuff published to date might feel too easy if everything gets buffed a little in 5.5e. For many encounters, maybe adding an additional monster to the group is enough but boss encounters run the risk of not having the impact they were intended imo.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
The inevitable power creep of subclasses as the edition progresses is not the same as fundamentally reworking which levels classes and subclasses gain features.
So if you are still playing through, say, Lost Mines of Phandelver but now your Ranger is better, I don't think most of us would see that as fundamentally a new experience.
If you're doing it right, every time you play through Phandelver should be a new experience. Not just based on the classes and subclasses present.
But you try and run 2014 PHB rules with a 4e adventure and see how that goes.
I have, it's dead simple to do. Once you know the math it's nowhere near as hard as people claim to use older stuff.

Remove ads