"Why the Empire Strikes Back Is Overrated"

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
Having grown up with the originals (ANH at 12) I still feel the first movie was the most groundbreaking, the most visionary, the best story arc. It's the most complete movie, and the opening sequence all through Tatooine is absolute magic. ESB was a close 2nd and there are even great things in Return, especially Luke/Vader/Emperor.

For the prequels, I wanted an older more Han-like Anakin, and more buddy banter and friendship with Obiwan. Better relationships and characters would have made everything about the prequels better.

The sequels are barely Star Wars. A friend of mine puts it well: Star Wars is best when it imitates a genre. It's at its worst when it tries to imitate Star Wars. That's why I still think the Han Solo movie is the best of the new ones (Heist genre). I like it better than Rogue One. Oh, and The Mandalorian (finally) gets things right (Western genre).

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Thrawn Trilogy sequel looks even better now. They needed to do that 1995 though. Didn't happen.

Good Star Wars us always in the writing. They've gone with recycled rehash badly done. Mandalorian is going down that path season 2 from the look of it.

Member berries. Member Fett he was great, let's stick someone else in his armor. Looks like they're gonna whitewash him as well lol.

Having grown up with the originals (ANH at 12) I still feel the first movie was the most groundbreaking, the most visionary, the best story arc. It's the most complete movie, and the opening sequence all through Tatooine is absolute magic. ESB was a close 2nd and there are even great things in Return, especially Luke/Vader/Emperor.

For the prequels, I wanted an older more Han-like Anakin, and more buddy banter and friendship with Obiwan. Better relationships and characters would have made everything about the prequels better.

The sequels are barely Star Wars. A friend of mine puts it well: Star Wars is best when it imitates a genre. It's worst when tries to imitate Star Wars. That's why I still think the Han Solo movie is the best of the new ones (Heist genre). I like it better than Rogue One. Oh, and The Mandalorian (finally) gets things right (Western genre).
I enjoyed Rogue One, but maybe for the same reason you enjoyed Han Solo - it wasn't imitating Star Wars either - it's basically a war movie.

Wolfpack48

Adventurer
I enjoyed Rogue One, but maybe for the same reason you enjoyed Han Solo - it wasn't imitating Star Wars either - it's basically a war movie.
I haven't laughed as much in a Star Wars movie since ANH as I did during Han Solo. Really great characters - Han was well cast, Amelia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Donald Glover as Lando, Chewy as a real character instead of a sidekick, all really fell into their roles. Even the villains were interesting. Great dialogue, and a fun story, and thank god no R2D2 and 3PO. Great new droids! It's the first movie I've seen that felt truly unburdened by all the Star Wars movies of the past. It felt like Star Wars because it wasn't trying so damn hard to be Star Wars.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Yeah, Solo a Star Wars Story is better than it's given credit for.

Yeah. It's got great dialogue, too!

Nick Solo: Qi'Ra. That's an unusual name.

Qi'Ra : It's a German name. It means 'she whose bosoms defy gravity'.

Nick Solo: I'm pleased to meet you. My name's Nick.

Qi'Ra : Nick? What does that mean?

Nick Solo: Oh, nothing. My dad thought of it while he was shaving. Wait until I tell you how I got my last name.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Yeah. It's got great dialogue, too!

Nick Solo: Qi'Ra. That's an unusual name.

Qi'Ra : It's a German name. It means 'she whose bosoms defy gravity'.

Nick Solo: I'm pleased to meet you. My name's Nick.

Qi'Ra : Nick? What does that mean?

Nick Solo: Oh, nothing. My dad thought of it while he was shaving. Wait until I tell you how I got my last name.
I know a little German, he's right over there

Remove ads