• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why the hate for anime? (Y da hat 4 anime?)

takyris

First Post
WizarDru said:
I get what you're saying, I just think your making a connection that simply isn't there.

Fair enough, Wiz. That's why I wanted to test the water with it -- to see if I was totally off. I know, by that logic, I might just as well have said, "You know, I don't like tomatoes, and I don't like bananas either -- I wonder if people who do like tomatoes like bananas for some reason that's deeply connected to the reason that they like tomatoes..." :)

(Er, for the record, I really don't like either tomatoes or bananas.)

Wouldn't have brought it up except for Reaper's comment about people watching it but not getting it.

Thanks.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Mog - I'm sure that is at least a contributory element to it.

Takyris - fascinating theory.
I don't have enough exposure to anime fans to conclude whether it's a valid theory or not, but it is awfully insightful nonetheless.

I will look for this in the future.

WizarDru

Adventurer
takyris said:
Wouldn't have brought it up except for Reaper's comment about people watching it but not getting it.

Thanks.
Well, like I say, I wouldn't say that there aren't some people that just might fall into that pattern...but I'd say the vast majority who may not be culturally informed just enjoy it for the genre material it is. When I first saw Captain Harlock in Japanese, I didn't think much of the cultural subtexts...I just thought it was really cool that this guy was a Pirate, in space, with a giant spaceship with a skull and crossbones across the bow, and two fighters (one red, one blue)...and a really cool crew.

And to be honest, I've yet to see many American shows that I've connected to with as well as that.

dreaded_beast

First Post
WizarDru said:
Well, like I say, I wouldn't say that there aren't some people that just might fall into that pattern...but I'd say the vast majority who may not be culturally informed just enjoy it for the genre material it is.

I agree.

There are many things that I enjoy and appreciate, even though I may not be "culturally aware". This spans anything from music to ethnic food.

I may not know about many of the cultural references and inuendo involved in a particular subject (let's take anime for example), but I don't think that prohibits me from appreciating anime as a whole. The more informed person may appreciate anime at a different level than I do, but I don't think my appreciation is any less sincere than the more informed person.

In my opinion (and hopefully not too offensive), it seems a bit elitist (sp?) to think that someone who hasn't done their "research" couldn't be sincere in their enjoyment and appreciation of anime.

reapersaurus

Explorer
dreaded beast - you're missing the point.
And so would anyone of countless people who may or may not feel personally assaulted enough to post, saying "Hey! I'm not like that!"

We're talking in generalities here - looking at it from a social perspective.
Not a personal one.
Please don't take personal offense when we're talking generally. That's a certain way to drag a thread into flames, etc.

It is a theoretical hypothesis, backed up by common-sensical psychology at best.

It's simple - if someone is a Westerner, hasn't studied much Eastern culture, doesn't have a person translating the cultural references, and in fact has a blindness to understanding cultural/literary/etc references, than that may explain why they might gravitate towards a medium where most Westerners are in the same boat he/she is.

dreaded_beast

First Post
reapersaurus said:
It's simple - if someone is a Westerner, hasn't studied much Eastern culture, doesn't have a person translating the cultural references, and in fact has a blindness to understanding cultural/literary/etc references, than that may explain why they might gravitate towards a medium where most Westerners are in the same boat he/she is.

I apologize if I offended you, since that wasn't my intention. I was just stating an opinion that I felt based on my understanding of the previous posts.

However, I may have missed the point of your original post, based on the quote above. It seems like an interesting theory.

I just try an think of it as people being people. There is no accounting for taste. :)

Greatwyrm

Been here a while...
reapersaurus said:
A couple things:

1) I'm surprised when younger Anime fans don't know about the classics.
How can they be 'into' the newer (mostly wretched) anime and never have heard of Ninja Scroll, Project A-Ko, Akira, etc?

Stuff like that does happen. Well, I had run D&D and/or Cyberpunk for 8 years before I got around to reading The Hobbit, LotR, or Neuromancer.

WizarDru

Adventurer
reapersaurus said:
But a lot of anime doesn't require that level of subtext to work, and much of it actually contains enough western references that if it's dubbed into English, you wouldn't really notice.

Consider Witch Hunter Robin, for example. With a few name changes, if you were to ignore that all of the signs were in Japanese, you could readily ignore all the culutural subtext of Japanese society quite easily. There is very little in the show that forces the viewer to directly address the nature of Japanese society. The same could be said for shows like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, the various Gundams, Akira and most of the other shows listed above.

I mean, I appreciate Gantz for the same reason that I appreciate the Sopranos...it's an interesting character study/fantasy that I'd never want to find myself on the inside of, but love watching the characters who are. I enjoy John Woo's "The Killer" or Gungrave for the same reason that I enjoy "The Matrix", "Die Hard" and "The Terminator"...lots of action, and sometimes unbelievable stunts or gunplay. The cultural subtext isn't necessary to appreciate it, and I suspect that most are drawn to it for it's root entertainment value.

If I don't appreciate what a big deal it is for a samurai to cut off his own top-knot, I still see the reaction of everyone around him when he does it.

Another thing to consider is that Anime is heaviily influenced by American animation, delivery and iconography. That they've branched into their own style shouldn't blind foks to the fact that many of anime's idioscyncracies developed from an american/western visual language.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads