• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why the love for the Edition Treadmill?

nnms

First Post
I play a game for three or four years and play it regularly and often. Then I move on.

So having a new version of D&D coming sooner rather than later sounds pretty good to me as I hit my "completion" point with 4E play about 4 months ago.

So I'll play Dark Dungeons, Diaspora and In A Wicked Age for the next year or so and then see if "D&D Next" is something I want to play.

New game systems and new editions are inherently interesting to me. Because they bring new features, new options, new approaches. Maybe they suck and don't work. But there may be something that you like about them and can keep around. Or they just teach you what you don't like and learn to appreciate something you have more (and maybe learn new tricks on how to emphasize the stuff you like).

Iosue

Legend
I'm a 4e player and 4e is still the best D&D for me personally. 5e ain't out yet. We'll see when it does. If fits me even better than 4e, then I'll go with it. If not, then I'll enjoy my 4e and BECM books. It's not a freakin' treadmill. It's a buffet.

Midknightsun

Explorer
I only have so many hours a week I can play or run games. I have vastly more gaming materials on my shelves than I require for my immediate needs, including some games that have been on my shelf for years, but I haven't yet had an opportunity to run. I daresay I have enough gaming content to keep me entertained for the rest of my natural lifespan, and then some.

Does that mean I'm not going to get other games? Heck no! I'm a hobbyist - an RPG hobbyist, not a D&D Xth Edition hobbyist. I'm interested in new games, period.

Gotta say this sums it up for me!

Remove ads