D&D General Why TSR-era D&D Will Always Be D&D

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Jeff Grubb was instrumental in bringing the Realms to TSR. I don't know if he was personally to blame (I've heard yes, but I wasn't there, obviously), but it was under his watch that several new settings got stapled onto the Realms, making it even more of a kitchen sink. Kara-Tur, Zakhara, and Maztica, for examples.

EDIT: as well as Bloodstone Pass and the Hordelands.

Zakhara being especially egregious since the Realms already had an "Arabian-style" region with genies and magic called Calimshan, lol.

Aldarc

Legend
Oh no, I understand why a few people might be upset, I love Planescape personally, but the amount of times I've visited more than one or two planes during even long campaigns is pretty small. Even in Scales of War during 4e, we went to basically not-Ravenloft and the Astral Sea (both of which felt sufficiently like the real thing that I couldn't tell you the difference). Most of the players seemed confused, but I was having the time of my life, navigating our "ship" (the severed head of a dead god which took the form of a medusa head) to reach a Githyanki maximum security prison to rescue the rightful heir to the throne (Vlaakith having been deposed by a new leader who made a deal with Tiamat).

And let's be honest, there were a ton of Outer Planes that basically had no purpose to exist (like all the varieties of Heaven). So we didn't lose a whole lot, and 3e had messed up a lot of lore anyways (like temporarily having the Inevitables take over Mechanus).
Experiences vary, but I experienced more plane-hopping adventures across the World Axis in 4e D&D than I ever had before with the Great Wheel in 3e or 5e D&D. 🤷‍♂️

1. D&D is close to being a generic term for TTRPGs for laypeople.
ex. If you are going to play some other TTPRG, and you're explaining to someone who is not familiar with it, you can probably just say, "It's like D&D."

Eh, for someone like that, I am more likely to compare to video games, as the number of people who have played Final Fantasy, or any of many other RPG games, dwarfs the number of people who play TTRPGs, even after removing the crossover.

2. D&D tends to draw a LOT of new players to the overall market, and many of those new players will later play other games and/or some of them will even design other games.
-This one is kind of a big thing. D&D is, by far, the largest driver of new players into the TTRPG market. No, I don't have data, but ... do I really need it?

This is another reason to look forward to the full release next year of the Marvel Multiverse RPG currently being playtested, as it has the potential to bring in millions more new gamers from the massive MCU fanbase.

3. When D&D is doing well, you tend to have a much larger player base, and this player base often is more willing to experiment with other games.

Yes and no, as that can depend on how different those games are. I remember the 90's and the D&D vs VtM stuff, as in, if you played one, you did not play the other. And from my personal 40 years of gaming experience, people whose primary game was not D&D were more likely to experiment with other games, while people whose first choice was D&D, getting them to try anything that did not "feel like D&D" was very difficult.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Not really. 5e actually changed a lot of lore even at the outset. But as so much of the base lore was no longer tied to the World Axis, so a lot of people overlooked those lore changes because they assumed it was the same or were just happy that 4e's World Axis was gone.
I was happy the world axis was gone, yes.

What lore in early 5e was that different from before 4e? To me it started to go downhill with Volo's and its ridiculous "beholder dreams" story.

Micah Sweet

What always struck me as funny about people who didn't like the reordering of the Outer Planes is how rarely they are ever used in the first place. How many games are really centered around plane hopping as a matter of course?
My favorite setting in all of D&D was Planescape, which the World Axis literally kicked to the curb and might as well have spat on.

Micah Sweet

Planescape is best treated as a separate setting, instead of an expansion of Forgotten Realms. While you can play a Faerûnian character in Planescape, I don't think the two settings are well suited for crossover campaigns.
Whoever said Planescape was an expansion of FR?

Micah Sweet

Even then, I don't think that the Great Wheel is necessary for Planescape. What makes Planescape sing as a setting, IMHO, are the factions, Sigil, and traversing the planes. I don't really see how the Great Wheel really adds much to those elements that couldn't also be served by a different cosmological setup. 🤷‍♂️
Completely disagree. Planescape used alignment, in particular the alignments of the Outer Planes, as an integral part of the setting. It was about conflicting philosophies and literally changing the world with your beliefs, not just travel to insane and alien locals for adventure (that's pretty much Spelljammer).

Micah Sweet

Oh no, I understand why a few people might be upset, I love Planescape personally, but the amount of times I've visited more than one or two planes during even long campaigns is pretty small. Even in Scales of War during 4e, we went to basically not-Ravenloft and the Astral Sea (both of which felt sufficiently like the real thing that I couldn't tell you the difference). Most of the players seemed confused, but I was having the time of my life, navigating our "ship" (the severed head of a dead god which took the form of a medusa head) to reach a Githyanki maximum security prison to rescue the rightful heir to the throne (Vlaakith having been deposed by a new leader who made a deal with Tiamat).

And let's be honest, there were a ton of Outer Planes that basically had no purpose to exist (like all the varieties of Heaven). So we didn't lose a whole lot, and 3e had messed up a lot of lore anyways (like temporarily having the Inevitables take over Mechanus).
YOU didn't lose a lot. YMMV. And for the record, I didn't like the 3rd ed changes either, but they were easier to ignore than entire new cosmology.

Micah Sweet

Jeff Grubb was instrumental in bringing the Realms to TSR. I don't know if he was personally to blame (I've heard yes, but I wasn't there, obviously), but it was under his watch that several new settings got stapled onto the Realms, making it even more of a kitchen sink. Kara-Tur, Zakhara, and Maztica, for examples.

EDIT: as well as Bloodstone Pass and the Hordelands.

Zakhara being especially egregious since the Realms already had an "Arabian-style" region with genies and magic called Calimshan, lol.
I don't think Grubb changed any existing geography; rather, he added more. Adding is infinitely better than replacing to me.

Remove ads