Why We Should Work With WotC

Remathilis

Legend
And you think this degree of censorship is even remotely reasonable? You're not only defending the CCA here, you're arguing that WotC needs to have dictatorial power that surpasses theirs because we have the internet.
Moderation of user-made content is an unfortunate reality. Go ahead and post naughty words on this message board and see what happens. My point is less that they have the ability to threaten this as much as there is a mechanism to dispute it. If you get hit with a DMCA report, you can challenge it. If you get a content strike on YouTube, you can challenge it. I'm fine with WotC having the power to pull the license IF there is a mechanism for you to disagree. The current 1.2 doesn't have that; it needs it. That is a reasonable fight.

Moderation of user-made content is an unfortunate reality. Go ahead and post naughty words on this message board and see what happens. My point is less that they have the ability to threaten this as much as there is a mechanism to dispute it. If you get hit with a DMCA report, you can challenge it. If you get a content strike on YouTube, you can challenge it. I'm fine with WotC having the power to pull the license IF there is a mechanism for you to disagree. The current 1.2 doesn't have that; it needs it. That is a reasonable fight.
For a brand compatibility license or in a marketplace they control, absolutely. But if I'm handing out free OGL pamphlets with obscenities at a private sex club, I think it's the venue that should be allowed to set its own standards, potentially diverging from WotC's. I'm already barred from using their brand name, so it would be my obscene sex game anyway, not WotC's.

It just has owlbears and magic missiles in it. That was how they divided up the IP back in 2000 to put an end to litigation in the industry, and it's not unreasonable to hold them to that. They kept the aboleths and the illithids for themselves, so they've already drawn their lines here.

We really, really don't want to return to this:

FormerLurker

Adventurer
I have no interest in licensing material from WotC under any new terms. I’m interested in keeping my rights to all the OGC under current terms and with the licensing structure intact. This position is inclusive of your concerns, but yours are exclusive of mine. So the common ground here is to fight for the status quo.
How many products are you going to lose the right to publish?
If WotC and I were negotiating this privately, I think I’d happily throw the entire 5e ecosystem under the bus just to keep the 3.5 SRDs under the old terms. Probably the VTTs too. So we really shouldn’t let them divide us like that.
You don't need to negotiate privately. You just need to push for the 3e SRDs to be released under the new license as well.

Remathilis

Legend
Well, I've said my piece. Keep fighting for 1.0a and when we get 1,2 as is, accept or refuse it as you will. I would prefer that if we are going to get 1.2 (and we ARE going to get 1.2) it would be in the best terms we can get.

Dulce et decorum est pro licentia mori

raniE

Adventurer
Well, I've said my piece. Keep fighting for 1.0a and when we get 1,2 as is, accept or refuse it as you will. I would prefer that if we are going to get 1.2 (and we ARE going to get 1.2) it would be in the best terms we can get.

Honestum et justum est pro licentia mori.
No we won’t. We’ll get the OGL 1.0a or nothing. What the terms of whatever crap Hasbro puts out are don’t matter, as it’s an irrelevant document.

Remove ads