WIELDSKILL much too powerful?

ashockney

First Post
D'oh!

Another tough balance issue from a non-core sourcebook. Oh well, no editor or playtest is perfect!

Yes, we found it unbalanced in conjunction with the Use Magic Device skill. I think Iajitsu Focus would be another great problem example. The one use only ruling helps to balance the spell.

It is a great spell, though, and overall, it's use in most other categories of skills keeps it within reason (although 1st is probably more of a +4, while 3rd would make a better +10 bonus).

What I've seen it useful for, is turning a "difficult" check, in "difficult" circumstances (like combat, where you can't take 10 or 20), into a reasonable check. This has really made players feel better about using skills to accomplish objectives instead of magic or brute force (ie, Disable Device).

Falconer

First Post
I've never had a problem with this spell so far.

It's the true strike of skill use!

Or is true strike horribly unbalanced?

It only applies to one roll, and is a great utility when you need some odd skill or another, or when the check is really important. So far, I've seen it used on appraise (they really wanted to make sure they were getting an appropriate price), disable device (fairly nasty trap at that), a knowledge(arcana) roll, and a balance check.

To call it broke is really overreacting. It's one of the few really great swiss army knife non-combat utility spells IMO.

Since the only ones who can use it are clerics, the cleric in this case tends to take it, but normally swaps it out for CLW eventually. They gotta prepare it ahead of time. So I agree heavily that the inspire et al aren't really good comparisons.

Gromm

First Post
In my campaign I use it to help the rouge search for traps and the like or to help people with one shot things.
The short duration makes it less useful for the "good" skills - Listen, Hide, Sneak, Spot, etc.

Remove ads