Critical Role Wildemont <--> Tal'dorei: Relationship?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Green Ronin certainly has done other limited licenses before. Their DC license was for 4 books - rules, 2 of heroes and villain stats, one of the setting. No adventures, no additional support. Four books and boom - Done.
The Tal'Dorai book may have been a one-and-done license. It would certainly have afforded Matt Mercer and Critical Role a lot of flexibility and, given their popularity, is probably an arrangement they could ask for and get with little fuss from GR.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The Tal'Dorai book may have been a one-and-done license. It would certainly have afforded Matt Mercer and Critical Role a lot of flexibility and, given their popularity, is probably an arrangement they could ask for and get with little fuss from GR.
It looks that way.

DragonBelow

Adventurer
I think whatever the deal was, it has ended; Tal'Dorei is no longer listed at greenronin.com, not even the PDF is for sale.

It might something completely unrelated, such as mistake or oversight, but this is also the typical outcome when this type of deals end.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Green Ronin certainly has done other limited licenses before. Their DC license was for 4 books - rules, 2 of heroes and villain stats, one of the setting. No adventures, no additional support. Four books and boom - Done.

That seems fairly likely.

It's also possible it could be very much in the vein of GR being willing to publish a book that was more or less already written. That would surprise me if it were the case, since I don't think Matt Mercer was shopping his campaign setting book around like somebody might with a novel, or other project.

Still, I kind of think it was a mutual thing were GR basically comes and says, "Hey, we have this idea, you write a book about Tal'Dorei and we publish it." Matt Mercer says "Yay, awesome lets do that." Then they hammer out the contract side of things. That may or may not be a license, publishing agreement, or something else.

It does have the interesting effect that Tal'Dorei may or may not appear in Wildemont. Although, since Matt Mercer presumably owns the rights, he can write what he wants, unless there's some exclusivity deal in his GR agreement.

Rikka66

Adventurer
Maybe the next season of CR will be in Tal'dorei and this would allow a remake of the first book.

The animated series will likely occur before then, and would be a much better opportunity. I imagine, whatever the agreement was with Green Ronin, that using the contents of the Tal'dorei book without Green Ronin in a new book would be very complicated.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases