D&D 5E wildfire spirit

Fiery Teleportation. The spirit and each willing creature of your choice within 5 feet of it teleport up to 1 5 feet to unoccupied spaces you can see. Then each creature within 5 feet of the space that the spirit left must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC or take ld6 + PB fire damage.

Ok so am encountering this for the the first time as GM. Is it not crazy powerful that the PCs can teleport about every round on a bonus action for 1 of the PCs.

jgsugden

Legend
There are some oddities there. It follows your commands in general, but you need to use a bonus action to get it to do something other than dodge with the spirit's action. However, there is no cost to guiding non-action activities. This means you don't need your bonus to get it to move. However, you do need it to do a bonus action or reactions, such as an OA under the rules. Both reactions and bonus actions are types of actions per the PHB.

I think most DMs might deviate from the RAW on those elements, but it is the way it is written.

Regardless, a 15 foot teleport is not going to be terribly strategically relevant except as a way to pass a barrier.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Fiery Teleportation. The spirit and each willing creature of your choice within 5 feet of it teleport up to 1 5 feet to unoccupied spaces you can see. Then each creature within 5 feet of the space that the spirit left must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save DC or take ld6 + PB fire damage.

Ok so am encountering this for the the first time as GM. Is it not crazy powerful that the PCs can teleport about every round on a bonus action for 1 of the PCs.
Not at all. It's a very short jump, puts out very small damage, and is limited in usage. How many PCs can be within 5 ft of it at the same time that any enemies are within 5ft of it? How often will 15ft matter during a time where the spirit is active? After all, Wildshape is limited usage and it lasts a limited amount of time.

Unwise

Adventurer
It seems very powerful for getting the whole party through small windows or behind locked doors. In combat it is not particularly useful.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It seems very powerful for getting the whole party through small windows or behind locked doors. In combat it is not particularly useful.
it has to be to a spot you can see. If you can't see beyond the barrier, no luck. (so small windows yes, locked doors probably not... although you could punch a hole through the door I suppose?).

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I haven’t seen this subclass in play, but giving a character the ability to inflict 1d6+PB fire damage as a bonus action seems very good. Being able to teleport up to 6 allies 15 feet as a bonus action seems great. Being able to do this at no resource cost as long as the spirit is there (each summon lasts an hour, so multiple encounters are quite likely) seems very very powerful.

Getting this at level 2 does seem OP to me. I’d be fine with it at level 6.

At level 2 it has 15 hp and AC 13. I can't see it lasting multiple fights.

As already pointed out, the chance of having six allies in position is very unlikely to occur in combat (we had a situation like this last week, where the party needed to get in range of Plane Shift during a fight. It took two rounds to set up) so it's basically a "pull the squshy out of melee" ability.

The Stars druid gets to do 1d8+wis radiant damage as a bonus action at level 2.

Last edited:

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
At level 2 it has 15 hp and AC 13. I can't see it lasting multiple fights.

As already pointed out, the chance of having six allies in position is very unlikely to occur in combat (we had a situation like this last week, where the party needed to get in range of Plane Shift during a fight. It took two rounds to set up) so it's basically a "pull the squshy out of melee" ability.

The Stars druid gets to do 1d8+wis radiant damage as a bonus action at level 2.

"Pull the squishy out of melee" an unlimited number of times as a bonus action is amazing. Throw in burn the opponent who was threatening the squishy, using the same bonus action. Throw in that you CAN pull multiple squishies out if they're positioned right. Throw in that the out of combat utility is very good (get the whole party out of any barred cell, etc).

AC 13 isn't great but 15 hp is more hit points than a level 2 cleric or druid is likely to have.

Keep in mind this isn't the only thing the spirit can do. It's also got a fly speed and a 60' ranged attack.

Imo the biggest weakness is the same weakness as the subclass - it's all fire, fire, fire. In the wrong campaign, you're screwed. But as long as it's not Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus, you're amazing.

It's not as OP as the Echo Knight, though.

And like I said, I haven't seen it in play so it's hard for me to fully judge it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases