• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wildrunner PrC and Primal Scream from Races of the Wild.. opinions please

Rashak Mani

First Post
I'm considering the Wildrunner PrC from the Races of the Wild. I like a good part of the concept and it suits well my PC... yet one single ability... the primal scream seems way off the mark. I haven't even considered game balance... just the style of the ability seems wrong. Biting and screaming doesn't sound "fey-like" to me.

Well anyway I didn't find any threads commenting or criticizing this PrC. I wanted some input on what you guys think of it. Also what you might suggest to change or substitue in the Primal scream for balance or game flavour.

Quick background: I'm playing a wild Kagonesti Ranger/Rogue in the Dragonlance during the wars. He is like the group scout and backup fighter. He like to be quiet... so screaming my head (or any elf) off like a Banshee seems wierd. :confused:

Crothian

First Post
It is primal, thus the biting and creaming. I think it seems liek a cool character class, the best for a barbaric or primitive elf I've seen.

Don't have the book, so don't know what the effects of 'Primal Scream' are, but it seems to me that it fits with the character you've presented. There are real creatures that use sudden loud sounds to stun potential food. I can see a Kagonesti stalking his target, sneaking up on him, then letting him have it with a feral shout that terrifies the target.

VirgilCaine

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
I haven't even considered game balance... just the style of the ability seems wrong. Biting and screaming doesn't sound "fey-like" to me.

Remember, Fey are embodiments of a force or power--nature is one, energy types are another, alignments could be another. A primitive, nature-embodying fey screaming makes sense to me.

So keep the game mechanics the same but change the flavor text -- maybe it's a whistle, or a bark, or a battle cry, or a zen-like mantra, or an unchained melody that causes the effect.

Theres' nothing wrong with personalizing effects to match your character concept -- liek a wizard whose magic missiles appear as glowing arrows he shoots from a glowing bow (Hank the Ranger, anyone?).

Rashak Mani

First Post
The wild elves of Dragonlance (Kagonesti) seemed a quiet and calm bunch... wild only in name.

Any suggestion on what could be used instead of primal scream ?

Rashak Mani

First Post
Basically you can 3+Cha times per day you can "scream" and get +2 Str and + 6 Dex, plus your jaw elongates and you get d6 bite.

As you advance in the PrC it gets worse... like enemies shaken and other stuff. Quite wierd.

Remove ads