D&D 5E Will items Break 5E?

Reynard

Legend
But I think it's pure hyperbole to claim martials don't contribute in combat, or even contribute less. Much as it's thrown about a lot as an issue, I haven't seen it be a problem in 5e (3e yes, absolutely, but not 5e).
I'd say that if martial aren't doing most of the damage, your casters are not doing their real jobs and actually making things harder.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Its cool. Honestly, I like to have productive conversations about evolving the game further, when it gets into muddied waters I simply don't have the time. I wish I did, but I'm too busy writing on my projects full time.
I like productive conversations as well, which is why I object to spellcasters at 1st level being compared to martial weapon resistances. First, you don't encounter things resistant to weapons at 1st level. I went through the MM from A to D. One CR 3 creature had some weapon resistances, two CR 4 and one CR 5. The rest were higher than that. I did see a number of much lower(into the fraction CRs) that had energy resistances(pretty much all demons and devils). Second, the creature are balanced with these resistances in mind, so comparing magic to weapons is not appropriate. Third, most creatures with weapon resistances also have energy resistances, and there's nothing in martial land that is similar to magic resistance which provides those creatures with advantage on saves vs. magic.

The appropriate comparisons are casters and things with magic resistance and/or energy resistance vs. martials and things with physical damage resistances.

Art Waring

halozix.com
The appropriate comparisons are casters and things with magic resistance and/or energy resistance vs. martials and things with physical damage resistances.
Sure in an ideal world, but unless you have a standard rate of comparison for games, and how many GM's run games RAW, its very hard to get a clear consensus on what fits for different playstyles.

Remove ads