• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will Power magic system supplement online, free!

willpax

First Post
I've dowloaded the new version of Will Power, but haven't looked over it yet. I found all of Drawmack's suggestions to be eminently reasonable, however.

Looking over the feats, I find I like them. I wondered if Way of the Wind could be upped a bit to make it slightly more attractive--say, with a +1 to initiative on top of the movement bonus? Or would that throw it out of whack?

You may want to clarify that the decison to activate these powers is a free action and must be declared before any other actions in the character’s round (if that is indeed how you want it to work).

You've inspired me to finish the detail work on my own system. I hope yours plays out well. Keep us updated.

Drawmack

First Post
I gave it a thorough going over. I have a pretty long list of things but the vast majority are typos. Only 1 rules related thing. I'll be posting it tomorrow after I format it for the boards.

Drawmack

First Post
Will Points v0.41 revision notes

The items in this list fall into different categories. There are typos, formatting, clarity, rules and opinion. Each item will be noted as to which category if falls into by the word appearing in brackets (i.e. {typo}) after its number. The explanation of what each category means follows.

Typo: something simple like a missing word, misspelled words or words out of order.
Formatting: something is wrong with the format and should be corrected.
Clarity: something about the rules is unclear and could use some clarification in the next version.
Rules: there is something wrong with the rules. This could be opinion but is more likely to be a balance issue.
Opinion: this is just something that I felt was out of place. There is no balance issue associated with it, it's just my gut feeling and should be treated as such.

1) {formatting} the header and footer (including the page numbers) do not print for me. Increase the gutter.
 2) {typo} page II, right column under Heroic Effect paragraph I line 7 Will point to effect a each roll: remove either the a or the each
 3) {typo} page III, right column under Willdraught second paragraph line II reduces should be reducing
 4) {clarity} The benefit section of the channeling feat is written to reflect what happens when you don't have the feat. This should be rewritten to reflect what happens when you do have the feat.
 5) {formatting} Benefit Section of the Hands-Free casting feat the reference should be linked to the appropriate point in the document.
 6) {formatting} The last sentence in the benefit section of sorcery should appear in the special section for this feat.
 7) {formatting} The last sentence in the benefit section of advanced sorcery should appear in the special section for this feat.
 8) {rules} Why doesn't supernatural healing provoke an attack of opportunity? Casting a healing spell would and this is almost the same.
 9) {clarity} Way of Faith last sentence under benefit reads "if your base attack bonus attempt to stun a creature damage by your unarmed attacks." I can't even figure out what you?re trying to say here.
10) {opinion} Way of Wind replaces the monks enhanced base speed. I don't think that burning will points every round is a good idea when what you're replacing is an always active class feature. I would say either up the duration (hour/day) or make it an always active feat that must be taken multiple times to gain more of an increase.
11) {typo} In the priest class under daily consultation first line says "a can" should say "a priest can".
12) {clarity} In the rules on magic you state that a caster can learn a spell by finding someone to teach them but you never provide rules for this. How does this work?
13) {clarity} All will points spells require some type of somantic component paragraph. How does still spell effect this?
14) {typo} Casting Spells Carefully first sentence reads "A character wearing armor normally suffers the risk arcane spell failure", should read "A character wearing armor normally risks arcane spell failure"
15) {typo} Under sorcery the last sentence reads "Any hit points lost to Sorcery cannot be healing in any way except for natural rest." should read "Any hit points lost to Sorcery cannot be healed in any way except for natural rest."
16) {opinion} It would give even more of a boon to spellcraft ranks if caster level was gauged by them Caster level = spell craft ranks - 3, to a minimum of 1. This way if someone doesn't spend spellcraft ranks their spells stay weak even if they are safe. For things like magic missile and such.

Opinion: this is just something that I felt was out of place. There is no balance issue associated with it, it's just my gut feeling and should be treated as such.

1) {formatting} the header and footer (including the page numbers) do not print for me. Increase the gutter.
 2) {typo} page II, right column under Heroic Effect paragraph I line 7 Will point to effect a each roll: remove either the a or the each
 3) {typo} page III, right column under Willdraught second paragraph line II reduces should be reducing
 4) {clarity} The benefit section of the channeling feat is written to reflect what happens when you don't have the feat. This should be rewritten to reflect what happens when you do have the feat.
 5) {formatting} Benefit Section of the Hands-Free casting feat the reference should be linked to the appropriate point in the document.
 6) {formatting} The last sentence in the benefit section of sorcery should appear in the special section for this feat.
 7) {formatting} The last sentence in the benefit section of advanced sorcery should appear in the special section for this feat.
 8) {rules} Why doesn't supernatural healing provoke an attack of opportunity? Casting a healing spell would and this is almost the same.
 9) {clarity} Way of Faith last sentence under benefit reads "if your base attack bonus attempt to stun a creature damage by your unarmed attacks." I can't even figure out what you?re trying to say here.
10) {opinion} Way of Wind replaces the monks enhanced base speed. I don't think that burning will points every round is a good idea when what you're replacing is an always active class feature. I would say either up the duration (hour/day) or make it an always active feat that must be taken multiple times to gain more of an increase.
11) {typo} In the priest class under daily consultation first line says "a can" should say "a priest can".
12) {clarity} In the rules on magic you state that a caster can learn a spell by finding someone to teach them but you never provide rules for this. How does this work?
13) {clarity} All will points spells require some type of somantic component paragraph. How does still spell effect this?
14) {typo} Casting Spells Carefully first sentence reads "A character wearing armor normally suffers the risk arcane spell failure", should read "A character wearing armor normally risks arcane spell failure"
15) {typo} Under sorcery the last sentence reads "Any hit points lost to Sorcery cannot be healing in any way except for natural rest." should read "Any hit points lost to Sorcery cannot be healed in any way except for natural rest."
16) {opinion} It would give even more of a boon to spellcraft ranks if caster level was gauged by them Caster level = spell craft ranks - 3, to a minimum of 1. This way if someone doesn't spend spellcraft ranks their spells stay weak even if they are safe. For things like magic missile and such.

Last edited:

Zerakon

First Post
Will Power v0.5 is available. Now with programmer art!

Thanks for the laundry list, Drawmack.

After thinking about your proposal for limiting caster level to MAX(SpellcraftRanks - 3,1), I decided to go with this:

caster level = MIN( Character Level, Spellcraft Ranks )

Btw, Spellcraft is not a base priest class skill, that's not a typo. Because my plan for my campaign setting is for only one of the religious institutions (the goddess of magic) to have class skill spellcraft as part of its institutional power. Furthermore, only one of the religious institutions is going to be capable of raise dead, most folk don't even know about this, and even if they did, they'd have a hard time getting raised because that institution and their priests aren't particularly kind-hearted.

-- Zerakon the Game Mage

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads