Will we get a classic Chimera? (ie. no dragon head)

Kunimatyu

First Post
Since the Hydra has returned to its snakey Greek roots, I wonder if we'll get a Chimera with goat and lion heads with a serpent tail, like this sculpture:

chimera.gif

I'd just as soon lose the middle colored "dragon" head of D&D's chimera entirely -- it looks jarring most of the time, and the goat/lion serpent motif seems cooler.

Last edited:

med stud

First Post
I hope so. So far 4e seems to do a good job of removing D&D-specific twists on classic monsters, so there may be reasons to keep the hope up ^^.

I would like if gorgons became Steno, Euryale and Medusa (and become really tough) instead of metal bulls too.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
OOO, just got an idea.

With Gorgon/Medusa, how about after you kill it, the DM can have an effect roll to see whether or not enough blood has pooled from the Gorgon to form minion (poisonous vipers like in the myth).

med stud

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
OOO, just got an idea.

With Gorgon/Medusa, how about after you kill it, the DM can have an effect roll to see whether or not enough blood has pooled from the Gorgon to form minion (poisonous vipers like in the myth).
That would be nice :)

Another thing that would be cool (leet, 4wsome): Being able to take the head of a killed medusa and using it as a weapon. Maybe some kind of per encounter- ability to petrify opponents.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
OOO, just got an idea.

It'd be more fun if it happened when the Gorgon was Bloodied...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
It'd be more fun if it happened when the Gorgon was Bloodied...

Perhaps, but that follows the myth less, seeing how the vipers were formed from the blood spilled by the severed head of Medusa, so it sorta follows more closely with the myth to be after death.

Klaus

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Since the Hydra has returned to its snakey Greek roots, I wonder if we'll get a Chimera with goat and lion heads with a serpent tail, like this sculpture:

chimera.gif

I'd just as soon lose the middle colored "dragon" head of D&D's chimera entirely -- it looks jarring most of the time, and the goat/lion serpent motif seems cooler.
Well, Sean K Reynolds' New Argonauts has the classical chimera. I even did the counter (based on that same etruscan statue you posted).

Remove ads