• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will we get a classic Chimera? (ie. no dragon head)

hong

WotC's bitch
LowSpine said:
Trouble is - that is just a lion. Its tail is pointless and a goat head on the side is also pointless. So in the end it is just an odd looking lion.
I don't know about you, but if I ever saw a lion with a goat's head sticking out of its side, I wouldn't be saying "oh, it's just a lion, I'll have its head off".

Syunsuke

Roll 21.
med stud said:
I hope so. So far 4e seems to do a good job of removing D&D-specific twists on classic monsters, so there may be reasons to keep the hope up ^^.

I would like if gorgons became Steno, Euryale and Medusa (and become really tough) instead of metal bulls too.

This is the latest design of Gorgon sisters ;)
Well, totally anime :p

(In case this matters; This picture is spoilar of "Fate/stay night" and "Fate/hollow ataraxia")
http://ex.sakura.ne.jp/~valhalla/test/g2.jpg

Last edited:

Kunimatyu

First Post
Wolfspider said:
Where were you classicists when the poor dryad was being roughed up?

Because "sexy tree babe" isn't a combat encounter, and minis are for combat.

A Chimera is a combat encounter, and minis are for combat.

parvatiquinta

First Post
The Greek for 'snake' (which now escapes me :| ) can also mean dragon. In fact it was used quite ambiguously in myth.
That said, I'm fine with both...

Kunimatyu

First Post
parvatiquinta said:
The Greek for 'snake' (which now escapes me :| ) can also mean dragon. In fact it was used quite ambiguously in myth.
That said, I'm fine with both...

Having the snake head as slightly dragony and able to breathe fire would be cool.

If I was going to make stats for a Chimera, I'd give the lion head a basic bite attack, the goat would push the target 2 squares, and the serpent would have a 1/encounter fire blast, and an immediate ability to attack a PC that gets into flanking position. I'm not sure whether the snake should have a poisonous bite.

Either way, I think it would make a badass Solo fight that could easily be on par with a dragon fight in terms of sheer cool.

lutecius

Explorer
Kunimatyu said:
Since the Hydra has returned to its snakey Greek roots, I wonder if we'll get a Chimera with goat and lion heads with a serpent tail, like this sculpture:
Back when I started playing dnd, I would have preferred your Etruscan chimera di Arezzo. I was such a mythology geek and I hated the heretic dnd version almost as much as the gorgon bull.

But other versions have grown on me since, like this neoclassical one in Paris (well, this one could use some goat hind legs)

800px-FontaineSaint-Michel02.jpg

Remove ads