• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Will WOTC's Ending PDF Sales Because of Pirating Increase Pirating of their Stuff?

Will WOTC's Ending PDF Sales Because of Pirating Increase Pirating of their Stuff?

• Yes

Votes: 216 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 37 14.6%

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I think you should edit your post to contain a smiley emoticon.

You know, for protection.

Cheers, -- N

joethelawyer

Banned
Banned
I think you should edit your post to contain a smiley emoticon.

You know, for protection.

Cheers, -- N

Well, I put it in the humor category because i think their reasoning is a joke. You gotta love the Corporatocracy. Probably a Harvard MBA came up with the decision---

For me no, for a lot of other people, obviously yes.

There is obviously a two prong effect here:
- Firstly, the only way how to get material (particular pre 3E stuff) is now through piracy.
- Secondly, this will annoy a certain section of the community enough to "stick it to WotC" and illegally download (which most, but not all were probably doing anyway).

As such, the decision is one that WotC "had to make" (I'd say from WotC's chief bean counter rather than from some dude with an MBA), and I'm sure they would have been well aware of the flack it would cause.

It is a shame, for every thing that WotC does right, they then have to go and do something "Wrong".

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

keterys

First Post
Maybe the decrease in easily available pdf quality (at least, I assume scanned documents don't hold a candle to fully published and indexed pdfs) will cause some people to buy some books, instead of pirating them. That'd be one possible reason it could help.

But, yes, I suspect this will increase pirating. I'm not sure how good their pdf sales were in the first place, but some of those sales will likely turn to piracy and some small number of additional people will probably fail entitled to "stick it to the man".

The short notice is offputting - I mean, I get a mail today that sales are stopping in a few hours... and that early tomorrow I can't redownload my pdfs. Bleah.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads