• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wind Walk is killing my campaign!

WampusCat43

Explorer
Maybe that's a little overstated, but it's killing me as DM. Anybody got a variant that's a little more...manageable? I used to only have to prepare for a few locations for a session, now they can be virtually anywhere, and can scout out places virtually unseen. Way too much work for me. I hate to just jerk this spell out entirely (and I know the teleports are coming soon), but I'm struggling for ideas.

Thanks!

ThoughtfulOwl

First Post
I have none at the moment, but somebody will surely chime in with one; in the meantime, may I suggest you to run adventures that are heavily objective-driven and tight on time?

If the PCs know that they need to go to Evil Temple A and that the kidnapped princess they want to rescue will be sacrificed to an evil god on midnight if they don't bust into the central chamber in time, they will not want to screw around exploring Mysterious Ruins B. This way, you just plan for Evil Temple A, knowing that the PCs will most likely go straight there.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
Underground adventures; can't be wind-powered around tight corners.

High winds above ground; you could easily justify a house rule that being a living cloud during a tornado would hurt.

Take it into accountand (as posted above) just limit the time they have to travel.

Nuke the party with a high speed monster which can tear the cloud-forms apart and keep up with them.

Area effect spells and breath weapons which would force them to 'drop' the spell rather than waiting for a minute. (Which means they wouldn' be able to re-assume Wind Walk later).

Dispel it whilst they're a long way up and then shoot 'em on the way down.

Corlon

First Post
It all depends on the objective. Generally I just have stat blocks of the creatures they'll be fighting, plus a few more that I can really just throw in at any time, and I make them fight when it seems they would (this is for a campaign where my characters are teleporting across the world multiple times in a day.)

But if you want them to wander into a map that you have set up, rather than having to make a lot of stuff up on the fly with just a few stat blocks to guide you, I'd go with thoughtful owl in saying just give them reasons to go where you have planned. It is their choice, but generally saving the princess from the temple of evil is more fun that exploring some ruins and killing some lizardfolk.

As for modifying the spell itself, I'd say don't do it. If you don't want that kind of mobility, I'd just severely restrict access to or even remove most mobility spells, because you'll be running into teleports, planeshifts, etc. in the future, and changes in wind walk won't help against these, but small changes in the way your missions are conducted will.

Sigurd

First Post
The Probs not going away

Wind walk is a 6th level spell. As your characters get more powerful their sphere of affect gets larger and your work grows.

Try and make your characters understand this. They can go everywhere but if they do you rapidly have to rely on random tables and you _dont_ promise consistency or that everything ties back to the plot.

Discus alternating RPG and board games or something to give you time to make your adventure. Consider alterntating your own adventures with modules. You can fight the spell but another will rapidly take its place.

Consider some teleport attacks against the party now to make sure they know how unbalanced buff and teleport is.

Your wise to think of the whole problem rather than knee jerk on Wind Walk.

S

the Jester

Legend
In order to allow myself prep time for my epic group, we play a low-level halfling game about half the time. Start a second (1st-level) group and always ask what they're doing in the next high-level game; that combo really helps me out.

WampusCat43

Explorer
Sigurd said:
Consider some teleport attacks against the party now to make sure they know how unbalanced buff and teleport is.
Good idea and I've tried something like this. Some Dimension Door-ing demons and one bad guy that teleported away. I've compounded my problem by giving them a homemade magic item - a softball-sized stone that carries a Silence spell with it. I had an evil wizard that was going to theatrically dive out a window as he cast a Fly spell, then come back and bomb them at range. With perfect timing, they nailed him with the stone as he leapt, but before he could cast. He augured in spectacularly (if quietly) and a messy dogpile ensued.

One thing I've noticed about these higher-level encounters - they tend to be mismatches and over quickly. But there's definitely been casualties on both sides.

Instead of trying to nerf their wind walk enabled mobility, make adventures that require it.

* The PCs have to reach the heights of an inhospitable mountain peak, but don't have time or gear to climb it.
* Bad guys on winged mounts are terrorizing the kingdom. Only the wind walking PCs can stop them.

Etc. Don't deprive the PCs of their hard-won abilities (and being able to cast a 6th level spell means you're 13th level at least, so you're doing something right). Instead, give the PCs opportunities to use those abilities for fun adventures.

Sammael

Adventurer
WampusCat43 said:
With perfect timing, they nailed him with the stone as he leapt, but before he could cast.
They had a ready action to throw the stone at him as he leapt? Wow. They are psychic as well...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads