• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Windows Security Question - Help!

GreyWanderer

First Post
Hi

I built aewompur and now hvea SATA ardrive. I placed my old hardrive in one of those new enclsures that connect via USB. However, I cannot access my old document folder in the 'Documents and Settings' folder (acces is denied).

I realize its a security issue; I can call up te scrity tab in Safe Mode - just no idea how t change it. Help!!!

Grey

TogaMario

First Post
This is really off the wall, but have you tried right-clicking on the folder, going to sharing options tab, sharing the folder with a name like "sys" and hitting "apply" then "ok" then trying to open it? I had that happen before to a different folder, and that seemed to work on it.

reanjr

First Post
If you are running XP Pro, you can open the security tab for the file and change the permissions. Otherwise you'll have to do this at command line (I think you can add the security tab in XP Home, but I don't remember how).

cacls "X:\Documents and Settings\<username>" /T /E /G Everyone:F
(replace X: with whatever the drive is of course)

If you still have problems (unlikely, if it's just a simple permission problem), try it without the /E.

cacls (Change Access Control Lists) changes permissions on a file or directory (in this case the user directory). /T tells it to recurse and apply the same thing to all files and folder inside the directory. /E says to "edit" the permissions, keeping the current ones and adding new ones. /G grants a permission to a user, group, or other security principal. Everyone is who you are granting access to. "F" says grant full access.

If it doesn't work there may be some kind of denial, which omitting /E should get rid of.

Post here again if it doesn't work out. Also, if it doesn't work out, run cacls X:... and respond with what it outputs.

Last edited:

GreyWanderer

First Post
More Help!

OK, found the security tab in Safe Mode.

Fixed half the records I need (had to do each folder - then each file type inside each folder - individualy).

The next day, my machine absolutely refuses to start in Safe Mode, no matter how often I restart, cold restart, etc.

Help again!!!!!!

reanjr

First Post
GreyWanderer said:

Fixed half the records I need (had to do each folder - then each file type inside each folder - individualy).

The next day, my machine absolutely refuses to start in Safe Mode, no matter how often I restart, cold restart, etc.

Help again!!!!!!

Does it start in normal mode?

XCorvis

First Post
GreyWanderer said:

Help again!!!!!!

You were just changing stuff in c:\documents and settings\<username>, right? Did you change the permissions on anything else? Why were you booting into safe mode in the first place?

GreyWanderer

First Post
No Safe Mode

The Securty Tab (giving permissions) is only visible for Widows XP Home Edition is only visible in Safe Mode - and it is the easiest way for a non - dos person (like myself) to alter the folders security settings.

Like I said, it is my old Hard Drve, in a seperate drive encloser.

I suspect the problem with Safe mode is IE 7. I downloaded it, and experience several probems (my DVD burng software stoped working, etc.). Removing it solved most of my problems - but still cannot boot into Safe Mode (as it goes down the driver list, it suddenly restarts).

Help?

Remove ads