• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wing and Sword: a d20 Modern military campaign [METAGAME]

Barak

First Post
Speaking of...le costaud was the only word I could think of to describe the concept of "big guy" - is there a better idiom you can think of?

Sounds good to me.. I probably wouldn't have thought of it myself off the top off my head, as it's more a french (as in from France) idiom than a french-canadian one, but I do believe it's pretty widely used there, and even more so back then. That's my (slight) problem when it comes to idioms, such things vary a lot even in the same language. It would be like an american trying to speak like a brit, or an aussie. The language is basically the same, but the expressions change a lot.

That was interesting about the rankings in the legion, and the lack of officers. I like learning about stuff like that. I learned recently, for example, that a lot of career military people got promoted pretty darn quick during WWII, mostly in order to fill in positions with the huge influx of draftees and what not, only to go back to their previous ranks (or one step above) once the military went back to peace-time strenght. I also learned the difference (in the Marine Corps, at least) between saying "yes sir" and "aye, aye, sir". :)

The Shaman

First Post
Bobitron said:
Never apologize for a post like that, Shaman. I'm glad you are willing to take the time for the game.
My 'pleasure reading' for the last six months has been books about Algeria, so I've got quite a backlog of this stuff. :heh:

It's tough at times, sorting out the facts - I'm never 100% sure if I've got it right. Some of the materials contradict each other, sometimes in really surprising ways: you'd think that an event like the Anglo-French invasion of Egypt in 1956 (covered in our upcoming adventure, Musketeer) would be pretty well recorded, and yet I can't find any two sources that agree with one another on who did what where! The official history of the British Para Regiment says one thing, a British book on the battle says another, Porch's Legion history says something else, an Israeli history doesn't jibe with any of them, and no two websites seem to agree with any of the books or each other! I mean, it's not like this happened in the Bronze Age! There was television, radio, newspapers, official after-action accounts - it's not like there's a lack of source material... :confused:

My goal is just a (hopefully) believable illusion. Most of the encounters are inspired by history - a few are entirely fictional, "might-'ve-beens." I'm hewing as close as I can to what I consider the more reliable sources to get details like organization, Legion life, and so forth. Everything else is how I imagine it might have been. :\

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
Thanks Shaman! *blushes* I've actually been using the baseline (no add ons) Dundjinni to make the map. Then a few modifications with paint shop pro and voila! , instant map. I', just hoping this one lasts longer than my Babylon 5 one did. I still haven't performed an autopsy on that one...

The Shaman

First Post
shadowbloodmoon said:
I've actually been using the baseline (no add ons) Dundjinni to make the map. Then a few modifications with paint shop pro and voila! , instant map.
It looked like Dundjinni - I like the look of their maps for detail images.
shadowbloodmoon said:
I'm just hoping this one lasts longer than my Babylon 5 one did. I still haven't performed an autopsy on that one...
A common problem with PbP. :\

Bobitron seems to have good luck with games as both player and GM - maybe he knows the secret... :)

Bobitron

Explorer
Huh. I don't know about that. I've started two games here, and one died a panful death. Bad Moon is clipping along slowly, but I still regret losing that player. I still feel it was my fault.

Now, as a player, the secret is post, post, post. :heh:

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
I wasn't going to get Dundjinni because my 2nd Ed Core Rules CD map maker works fine, but it was in a bargain bin at my FLGS and so there it is. I like it a lot. It's a little short on things, but for the price, I couldn't beat it.

знаток

First Post
Thanks for all that info, Boss Shaman. It's certainly appreciated, as always.

I'll try to keep up tomorrow, and maybe even post from home, but it'll be a challenge for me until probably Tuesday.

The vacation's going well. We're going out on a speedboat tomorrow morning to check out some porpoises, and especially to go fast. :D

Remove ads