Wing and Sword: Chat et Souris (Prologue)

The Shaman

First Post
Fumbling for the handset, Vidal gives the pilot the vector and distance to the section in the gully where the machine gunner lies in wait. “Look for purple smoke – repeat purple smoke – at the north end of our position,” he finishes. Vidal: Navigate 21 (take 10).

Pyotr sees the replacement gunner grab at his chest as the sniper’s bullet finds its mark. The fellagha lets go of the MG-34, lying on the ground with both hands over the wound. The gun, for the moment, is silenced.

Normand scrambles over the rocks, following Marcel’s path, bullets snapping around him. He can see the fells in the streambed more clearly now – as he watches the leading group of fellaghas rises from the ground and hustles east along the gully.

Vidal hears Sgt. Duval’s voice as bullets whiz past. “Are you okay?” he asks. Without waiting for an answer, he continues. “Stay down and save your ammo, radio,” he orders. Both men press themselves as close to the ground as possible.

Marcel rummages through the dead légionnaire’s pouches, finds both of Berg’s grenades. Looking up again he too sees the fells advancing along the streambed. The remaining sections continue to pour fire on the legionnaires huddled atop the hill. End of round 30.

At the beginning of round 31, the section with the (now silenced) machine gun is in D5, 280’ from Pyotr, Normand, and Marcel – the fells are prone in the gully as they fire at Pyotr, Normand, Marcel, and Lavareaux. The section lying prone in D6 is 250’ from Lavareaux and Marcel and 200’ from Vidal and Duval – they fired on all four legionnaires along the north end of Hill 662 in this round. The section moving from D6 into D7 is 230’ from Marcel and Lavareaux and 160’ from Vidal and Duval – they do not fall prone but rather remain on the move.

Last edited:

знаток

First Post
Vidal slumps down against the rocks facing northeast, performing a deliberate mental check of his motor skills...head to toe. Noting that everything seems okay, he carefully peers over the rocks and up the hill to regain his situational awareness. He notices Fortier rummaging hastily through Berg's equipment, and his heart sinks noticeably - his sense hope following shortly thereafter. Evaluating the possibilities, he concludes that Berg must be dead rather than incapacitated, else Fortier would be tending to his injuries.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
A small sense of relief passed over Pyotr as the second gunner went down. Quickly looking over the battlefield, Pyotr wondered if it were feasible for them to try and get to the machine gun. Most of the enemy were in the gully advancing towards their front, while a smaller group was still hiding in the rocks to the left of him.

Then Pyotr remembered something. Supposedly some aircraft were on the way. If he even tried to go down there, he would be in their line of effect. Shaking his head, Pyotr simply watched the now vacant machine gun, deciding to save his bullets for the next fell that wanted to try his luck with him.

Pyotr is simply waiting this round, trying to catch his breath.

Barak

First Post
Normand almost lets out a burst from his rifle towards the moving fells, but then he remembers that he only has half a magazine remaining, and no spare ones.

Better keep those bullets, you never know.

So instead, he simply hunkers down next to his companions, and mutters.

"Join the legion, see some country, they said. Sure. Damn recruiters."

Bobitron

Explorer
Marcel moves back to Lavareaux's position, handing the grenades over to the veteran. He then drops into a prone position and looks for a good shot on the fells in the streambed.

"Ahhh... sir? You want me to check that out now?" he asks, looking at Lavareaux's bloodied fatigues once more.

The Shaman

First Post
As Pytor studies the fellaghas’ movements, he sees the loader hunker down as low as possible behind the edge of the gully, then pull the machine gun to him. The barrel trains on the legionnaires to the Russian’s right.

Normand reaches Lavareaux’s position as ordered. The caporal-chef glances at him as says, “Stay low, costaud.” Normand hears the pain in the Picard’s voice.

Marcel approaches and offers Lavareaux the grenades scavenged from the dead legionnaire. The caporal-chef shakes his head and pats his MAT-49. “Keep ‘em. Just try not to blow us up, oui?”

"Ahhh... sir? You want me to check that out now?" Marcel asks, looking at the bloodied legionnaire. Lavareaux shakes his head as a bullet ricochets off a rock, scattering dust and fragments over both men. “If we hold them off, there will be time after. If not, it won’t matter.”

As the fellaghas advance through the streambed, Sgt. Duval turns to Vidal. “Listen up! They’re going to come through our smoke. Throw your grenade as soon as they move into the open, before they get in these rocks, then shoot the survivors. Understood?” the jumpmaster orders. Sgt. Duval used his Tactical Aid ability this round – Vidal gets a +1 to hit on his attack rolls for the next three rounds.

The leading fellaghas hustling along the gully disappear behind the cloud of purple smoke to the north of Vidal and Duval. The legionnaires atop the hill watch as another section rises from the ground and begins its advance on the flank as well as the rest of the katiba continues to fire from the cover of the gully.

Above the sound of the fellaghas’ fire comes a shrill whistle from somewhere down in the gully.

End of round 32. Spot and Listen checks from everyone for round 33, please.

Last edited:

Bobitron

Explorer
Marcel grins at the caporal-chef's comments, even though it isn't really said with much humour. Dropping prone, he sets the two grenades carefully down by his side, aims patiently down his rifle, and squeezes off a shot...

ooc: attack roll is a 4

...sending a round high over the heads of the advancing insurgents.

ooc: Spot check 22 (!), Listen check 8.

shadowbloodmoon

First Post
You must be joking. Pyotr grinned a half smile as he sighted in the wounded gunner dragging the machine gun towards him. I guess one round didn't help him learn his lesson. Getting a bead on the wounded man, Pyotr pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, a sudden shrill whistle didn't allow him to see if the round hit or not.

-4 range, +2 dex

To Hit: 16

Damage if Hits: 8

8 rounds remaining in clip

That's what I'm talking about...

Listen: 16
Spot: 20

Barak

First Post
Hunkering down next to his officer, Normand speaks out loudly, wanting to make sure anyone nearby hears him.

"I'm afraid I was pretty free with my munitions, captain, and have but 5 bullets remaining. Anyone who didn't get as many chances to fire, keep me in mind, will you?"

He then takes aim on the closest fell he can see, and fires yet another of his bullets.

OOC
Not sure how far the closest fells are, but I believe they are at a distance to cause a -4 penalty.. If I'm wrong, please adjust accordingly.
to-hit:4

Well, so much for that

Listen =17
Spot =10

знаток

First Post
Vidal listens closely to Sergeant Duval, intent on catching all the details of his instructions. "Got it, Sergeant." He pulls the dusty grenade from its pouch and readies it as he peers through the purple smoke, each shadow boosting his adrenaline another notch.

Spot: 18
Listen: 5

Remove ads