• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WinXP users: commas, file names, zip?

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm discovering that sort of all of the sudden, I'm having a weird problem with zip files that contain files with commas in the file name.

If I open a zip file using WinXP's "way of doing it" (where compressed archives are treated as a "folder"), it will only display file names that have no commas in them. What's weird is that the zip file will show an appropriate total file size, so it's clear that the files are inside the archive, but they don't appear. And if you try to drag a file with a comma in the name into the zip folder, it seems to "disappear". If you try it again, a message that there's already a file by that name inside the zip folder. It's very, very weird. Anyone having a similar problem?

Chaz

First Post
Ive seen other folks having problems like that. Have you tried just opening it with winzip? That might take care of it. Good luck.

Beastman

First Post
Yeah, you should get rid of that XP internal Zipper. It's a known fact, that it's äh rather bullsh... Don't know, if there's a possibility to turn it off directly somewhere in XP. If not, use a tool named XP-Antipsy to turn it off (as I have).

EricNoah

Adventurer
Well I used it all the time and I actually liked it quite a bit. This comma thing just started recently. I'm just wondering if it was something in WinXP (like maybe a patch or something) or if there's a setting I accidentally switched on at some point.

I'll try some external unzipping software and see how that goes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads