WIR S1 Tomb of Horrors [SPOILERS!! SPOILERS EVERYWHERE!!]‏

Stoat

Adventurer
I certainly agree that Area 18 is the weakest area of the Tomb that I reviewed so far. It mostly seems pointless. There's basically no threat to the PC's here.

The fear gas and the webs could be part of a horrible trap, if they were combined with some threat. Frex, if a monster attacked while half the party was terrified and half was stuck in webs. OR if the Fear gas drove the PC's into the webs. But what's most likely to happen is that the party takes each "challenge" separately. They deal with the gas. Then they move on to deal with the webs. Then they move on to deal with the "lich."

And yeah, I have a hard time imagining that the PC's are just going to pick up the mace and use it, and I have a hard time imagining that the "lich" will last three rounds anyway. I haven't crunched out the numbers, but I suspect that at this level his -4 AC won't be too hard to hit.

I guess you could say that this room contains a pile of treasure, and treasure has been lacking in the module thusfar. So, assuming the PC's get this deep into the tomb, and assuming that they aren't fooled by the illusion, they get some loot.

A

amerigoV

If the party runs out, ask them if they thought it was too hard a dungeon.

Oh wow, look at the smug attitude. I wonder how the designer would feel if the Players quickly figured out the whole thing was a programmed illusion and they told the DM they thought it was too insipid a dungeon?

IIRC, Necropolis has the same thing - a fake "final battle" with similiar wording. Must be an EGG thing :)

I like the concept - the module is designed to challenge the players - so creating a false ending is right in line (then the DM can later taunt the players for their poor play :)). But I agree the room itself is rather weak. Additionally, given most people know what a demi-lich is this room needs serious revamping if one were to run it today. The mace should be found somewhere else as a MacGuffin that works on the fake Acererak, but of course just helps the real one.

Another thing to consider --for my party at least-- was the fact that here was something in the Tomb you could finally hit with swords!

I can't discribe how cathartic it was to finally have a battle, to roll dice (and not worry about dying instantly), to scan your spell list for the old favourites shield, fireball, magic missile, etc, mark off hit points from hits, and cry with joy when scoring a natural 20 on an attack roll.

After all the brain sweat from dealing with all the trap crap, a good, stand-up fight... felt good.

(I think our DM gave it more hp, since the fight lasted longer.)

We retreated from the 'load-bearing boss collapse' but immediately went back in order to see if we could dig out the golden couch. So greed defeated the illusion in pretty short order.

The mace seemed like a call back to the "find a silver dagger in the dungeon in room 4, and lycanthropies in room 5" type of adventure design we'd all played before. However, the nature of the Tomb played against this one, as nobody touched the mace.

"Trap?"
"Trap."
"Totally a trap."
"Trap-a-rama."
"Trap-a-mundo."
"What in here isn't a trap?"

FoxWander

Adventurer
My party's fight here (as part of Return) was almost comical. We found the secret door on the stairs via True Seeing and decide to continue down so we wouldn't leave an area unexplored at our backs. Out party was either immune to fear from various effects or simply made our saves against the gas- at any rate we hardly noticed it except to realize it was a trap. We found the door and got thru the webs with the flaming sword (Rod of Lordly Might) I had had. And then it was right into the "lich."

We ignored the mace and just attacked. Our party won initiative and... annihilated the "lich" before it had a chance to do anything! The easy fight and our rather quick descent to this point meant our cleric's True Seeing was still active when the ceiling started to "collapse." Seeing thru the illusion made everyone's disbelieve checks easy so we stood our ground and then simply looted the room.

GQuail

Explorer
Late arrival to this thread (not a regular reader here on ENWorld anymore) but very interested to find this, as I'm running it for a party right now. Of the five players three were in my 3.5 D&D campaign and two others have played various modern games with me - only one will have played any 70s/80s D&D edition in the past. It's really interesting to see them approach this dungeon and compare it with the comments of people more experienced in older edition thinking.

So far it's worth noting that no-one has taken any serious injury. In session one they tripped a fake entrance and had the box/pit trap at the first main hall teach them concern. (And I almost had one of them go into the green devil head.... almost!) From then on they were much more SWAT-like and session two featured a lot of careful preparation. Even if you don't think in old-school dungeon crawl logic, it seems hard to play the Tomb of Horrors and not start operating like that.

Going back a few pages, thing I would note is that I found the "slot with an O" in the Chapel very poorly worded indeed. The slot is noted in 14 and the method of opening is listed as in 15, which is /the corridor on the other side/. We got further in one sitting than I planned and hadn't read this far ahead in detail so I assumed this meant it was a one-way door, but it's actually to be opened in room 14. As others have said, Gary seems to have just written things as the mood takes him.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
So far it's worth noting that no-one has taken any serious injury. In session one they tripped a fake entrance and had the box/pit trap at the first main hall teach them concern. (And I almost had one of them go into the green devil head.... almost!) From then on they were much more SWAT-like and session two featured a lot of careful preparation. Even if you don't think in old-school dungeon crawl logic, it seems hard to play the Tomb of Horrors and not start operating like that.
Are they doing things they normally wouldn't have? What have they thought of it so far?

GQuail

Explorer
Are they doing things they normally wouldn't have? What have they thought of it so far?

They are definitely behaving differently to how they normally would. Part of that is that they know the dungeon by reputation - not just from their initial exposure to traps but from me mentioning the dungeon came in the top 3 of Dungeon magazine's "best adventures" poll. I made a point of warning them it was a likely lethal dungeon before going in so they wouldn't get bummed if they died randomly, but it has the consequence of making them more wary.

For example, in my custom dungeons or in pre-made adventures they've occasionally had to worry about specific method of opening doors or similar minutae but usually they've been able to just say "I search for traps" and have the game assume their PC knows the correct procedure. Here, however, trial and error has arguably been more useful in working out how traps work and how to bypass them.

It's worth noting that in 3rd edition we played up to epic levels so this is a notable step down the power level for them. Furthermore, no-one chose a straight spell-caster, so the party composition is Fighter/Cleric, Fighter/Illusionist, Fighter, Thief/Wizard and Thief - and like the pregens from the module noted earlier in the thread, this means that most of them aren't actually 10th level in any of their classes.

Have they enjoyed it? I'd say yes, but I think it's key that it's being treated sorta like a convention game and is aware of the tomb's TPK-inducing status. If they were playing a full campaign, running beloved characters with months if not years of play and suddenly this sort of dungeon happened I think they'd be very unimpressed.

GQuail

Explorer
Another thing to consider --for my party at least-- was the fact that here was something in the Tomb you could finally hit with swords!

I can't discribe how cathartic it was to finally have a battle, to roll dice (and not worry about dying instantly), to scan your spell list for the old favourites shield, fireball, magic missile, etc, mark off hit points from hits, and cry with joy when scoring a natural 20 on an attack roll.

After all the brain sweat from dealing with all the trap crap, a good, stand-up fight... felt good.

Yeah, the only two fights before this are avoidable - the four-armed gargoyle on one of the routes to the spheres hall, and the snakes & giant skeleton on the chest spur of the map. This could well be the first fight the players get into all adventure and thusly a pleasant change of pace. Dunno how many people it would genuinely trick as others have said but at least you get to deal with a more traditional dungeon encounter.

The idea of a "fake final battle" isn't intrinsically terrible to me, though I'd agree it seems a bit clumsily handled here. The fact that what a demilich is better known these days would indeed be a factor here, and the ease of beating the fake lich is also a presence.

Would it be possible to increase the difficulty in some way without making it unfair? I'm pondering some sort of teleportation spell so it looks like the PCs are disintegrated but in fact are sent back to the start of the dungeon, far enough that they'll never get back to the fight in time. True, this means when they get to the entrance they'll suspect they were tricked, but as written it's not going to be much different anyway.

I'll post again after I run tonight as they should easily get this far in. We'll see what a modern group makes of it. :)

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Now that we are over half way through the Tomb, I want to compare the facts of the text so far with what some folks, (mostly in other threads referring to this module), claim as truth about this adventure. The following quotes come from other threads about ToH, and they all got either xp awards from people agreeing with the assessments, or they got replies agreeing with the assessments. (So it seems that the following statements are commonly believed to be factual or truthful.)

The module gives you clues in the form of riddles, and those riddles are, essentially, a "walk through" for the entire module (if you can parse them out carefully). On the other hand, if you fail to notice the first riddle, or if you ignore the clues provided, well, the module can kill you pretty quickly.
Well, there’s only one riddle, and it is pretty difficult to discover. (I think it is even likely to be undiscovered if played by the text as written.) But even if it is discovered, it is far from a “walk through” for the Tomb. It is generally very vague, and even seemingly misleading. So far in this discussion, different people, (even those in support of the riddle), have given different, (and sometimes contradictory), interpretations of it. So this statement seems inaccurate.

Unlike some modules, with traps that have no possible way of being decoded short of painful experience, <snip comment on another module>, ToH presents players with a chance to figure things out.
We’re not seeing *anything* that lets the Players figure anything out. Every trick and trap requires taking precautions and protections, and then just testing. So this statement seems to be a completely false, (reversed from fact).

Acererak follows a pattern and sticks to it, so that with care you really don't have to guess after you successfully enter the tomb.
I’m not seeing any pattern for anything. Everything is guesswork. This statement seems completely false. (If there is a pattern, I really wish someone would point it out.)

… it is utterly unmerciful and unforgiving.
Many of the tricks and traps are not particularly deadly. Some are just annoyances and attrition. This statement seems false.

If the tomb warns you against doing something, then its a fair warning and the consequences of ignoring it will be bad. If the tomb provides you a clue, it's a fair clue that isn't meant to mislead you.
Other than the riddle in the early red path, (which is vague and misleading), still not seeing any warnings or clues for or against anything. This statement seems baseless.

Acererak doesn't build a maze. He doesn't make you guess which way to go. It's not a sprawling labrinth filled with a lot of arbitrary choices between left and right with no way of knowing which leads to certain doom and which to a reward. You aren't arbitrarily picking your way through it, and if you paid attention he'll give you very specific directions through the tomb. False leads look like false leads once you have the real one to compare them too, so just look around before you decide to follow the first thing you find and you'll be alright.
No, it’s not a sprawling labyrinth; it’s pretty linear with respect to ways forward. I’m still not seeing “very specific directions” or any hints or clues on how to distinguish between false leads and the correct path. Heck, false leads and the correct path are often both hidden and trapped. So this statement seems false.

Acerak doesn't rely on attrition. He's not trying to wear you down. He's not going to force everyone to make a saving throw just to go foward and turn the whole affair into a test of whether you can roll high on 4 or 5 unavoidable rolls in a row.
Actually, there is a lot of attrition in this Tomb. And there are tests to roll many saves to move forward. This statement is definitely false.

The dungeon doesn't amount to whether you can win initiative enough times, or whether you roll high on your damage dice, or whether the monster makes his saving throw, or whether you can avoid a streak of 1's.
True, because there are very few combats in this Tomb.

If you play by his rules, you'll probably never have to make a saving throw, and if you screw up and get reckless you'll probably never have a chance to.
He doesn’t seem to follow any rules or patterns. Even if you take the proper path, you may have to make many saving throws. And screw ups haven’t all been especially deadly. This statement seems false.

there is almost no luck, good or bad
There is a lot of requirement of luck, from many saving throws to many search checks (1 in 6 chance to find the secret door you must find to move forward), to picking which chest to open with no clue or hint provided.

ToH is fair with Acererak being predictable and clues for the right decision being available.
This general statement is seeming more and more false with every numbered area we cover in this thread.

As I’ve said before, this adventure, presented as a “thinking person’s module,” is mostly “bomb-squad thinking,” (use caution and protection, then test), and little/no “Sherlock Holmes deduction thinking,” (figure out the clues and hints). For instance, when presented with three chests, there are no clues or hints for the Players to use in figuring out which chest to open or how to avoid a trap. The Players are required to assume all things are trapped, and take mitigating precautions and protections to survive or avoid the effects of the traps.

This is a legitimate play style, (one that some people really enjoy), but I’m always left wondering why those who like this module always present it as the other play style. Why say there are clues and patterns when there obviously are not? Why say it’s a “thinking person’s module” when it’s more of a “cautious and meticulous person’s module”? There’s nothing wrong with cautious and meticulous play style if that is what the group likes/prefers.

Bullgrit

FoxWander

Adventurer
I really don't like multi-quoted posts, but I can't see any other way to do this. I'll apologize now for the long-ish post.

Well, there’s only one riddle, and it is pretty difficult to discover. (I think it is even likely to be undiscovered if played by the text as written.) But even if it is discovered, it is far from a “walk through” for the Tomb. It is generally very vague, and even seemingly misleading. So far in this discussion, different people, (even those in support of the riddle), have given different, (and sometimes contradictory), interpretations of it. So this statement seems inaccurate.
How hard the riddle is to discover depends on how the DM plays it. If he takes the module text literally and says nothing to a player that is studying the mosaic until they reach the very end, then it is likely to go undiscovered. With all the traps and distractions along the path it's unlikely a player would stick with it until the end if the DM gives him no clue he might be onto something. This also seems like the least realistic way to handle it. It's not as though the path is enchanted to suddenly reveal the riddle in whole only to someone who has kept his eyes on the path throughout- but this is exactly how I've heard of some DMs playing it! More realistically a player would announce they are studying the path (something very likely to happen when first presented with this colorful hallway) and the DM would give some hint that there seems to be a hidden pattern but it doesn't quite make sense. That would certainly get the player to study the entire thing and find the riddle.

While I'd love to analyze the riddle as it relates to every room/obstacle it may or may not point to. That could only really be done by laying out the entire thing which would jump the gun quite a bit given the linear style of this thred. So I'll wait to get into the riddle until we're nearer the end.

We’re not seeing *anything* that lets the Players figure anything out. Every trick and trap requires taking precautions and protections, and then just testing. So this statement seems to be a completely false, (reversed from fact).

I’m not seeing any pattern for anything. Everything is guesswork. This statement seems completely false. (If there is a pattern, I really wish someone would point it out.)
I'll lump these two together because they concern the same thing. Also I don't agree with your "false" assessment in both... and I'm not really sure you do either. If every "trick and trap requires taking precautions and protections, and then just testing" how is that not figuring things out? And how does the same thing amount to "guesswork"? While it's true there is no pattern (in fact it seems downright random at points) it mostly doesn't take guesswork or luck to get thru. Note I said "mostly" there. While some of the tricks themselves that we've covered don't make a bit of sense (Who would really let 10 gems get crushed? Why does the gate require a magic ring? Why does the secret door require magical detection?) They can still be figured out without resorting to complete randomness in return.

Many of the tricks and traps are not particularly deadly. Some are just annoyances and attrition. This statement seems false.
This one depends on your view of "unmerciful and unforgiving." I counted at least 18 save-or-die obstacles (mostly poison- either spikes or asps, but a few others) which isn't really deadly given the saves at this level. But there are at least three TPKs that simply require making the wrong choice or getting unlucky. That's a lot of near certain death for one dungeon.

Other than the riddle in the early red path, (which is vague and misleading), still not seeing any warnings or clues for or against anything. This statement seems baseless.

No, it’s not a sprawling labyrinth; it’s pretty linear with respect to ways forward. I’m still not seeing “very specific directions” or any hints or clues on how to distinguish between false leads and the correct path. Heck, false leads and the correct path are often both hidden and trapped. So this statement seems false.
Again, both of these depend on how you view the riddle, which, also again, I'm not sure we want to get into right now.

Actually, there is a lot of attrition in this Tomb. And there are tests to roll many saves to move forward. This statement is definitely false.
Completely agree with you here. There's all kinds of attrition in the Tomb. It's only saving grace in that respect is that you could camp out pretty much anywhere and take as long as needed to recover. And we've covered at least three arbitrarily (and bizarrely) difficult to detect doors that prove the 'no high rolls needed' bit false.

He doesn’t seem to follow any rules or patterns. Even if you take the proper path, you may have to make many saving throws. And screw ups haven’t all been especially deadly. This statement seems false.
And completely disagree with you here. :p It's VERY possible to go thru the entire Tomb with hardly a scratch (my party did it in Return). And there are at least three TPKs down the line that any party can quite easily fall for- and two that we've already passed. The green mouth and the lava trap. While both aren't certain death- they could be. The first just requires a series of bad decisions (one pc crawls in and others are likely to follow just in the interest of not splitting the party- happened on my very first encounter with the Tomb many years ago. I was the only one to say screw that and go back to town looking for some way to contact the others before I crawled in- at which point the DM congratulated me on being the sole survivor) and the next just requires a little too much hesitation.

As I’ve said before, this adventure, presented as a “thinking person’s module,” is mostly “bomb-squad thinking,” (use caution and protection, then test), and little/no “Sherlock Holmes deduction thinking,” (figure out the clues and hints). For instance, when presented with three chests, there are no clues or hints for the Players to use in figuring out which chest to open or how to avoid a trap. The Players are required to assume all things are trapped, and take mitigating precautions and protections to survive or avoid the effects of the traps.

This is a legitimate play style, (one that some people really enjoy), but I’m always left wondering why those who like this module always present it as the other play style. Why say there are clues and patterns when there obviously are not? Why say it’s a “thinking person’s module” when it’s more of a “cautious and meticulous person’s module”? There’s nothing wrong with cautious and meticulous play style if that is what the group likes/prefers.

Bullgrit

I'd say, a lot of whether one thinks this is a "thinking person's dungeon" (as the module claims) depends on if one considers the "bomb-squad thinking" as a sufficient level of thinking to fulfill that claim. As for deductive thinking, I'm of the opinion that the riddle is a useful clue/guide, so I think it fills that category- to some degree. But yes, most of the dungeon is simply covering all the bases while you resolve each trap/obstacle, and then the next, and the next...

As for the three chest, yes there are no clues or hints to "solve" this but that's where the "bomb-squad thinking" IS actual thinking. I pointed out several tactics for the chests in my first post here.

It goes back to the "old school" mind set that I tried to emphasize in that post but didn't quite get across. This dungeon is set up to give the players NOTHING. They will have to think and try and test at every obstacle to move forward. Just like exploring an actual dungeon- it's not going to volunteer any info. A party hoping for clues/hints will not enjoy this dungeon. If they don't pry their own hints out of it, they're going to have a very rough time.

Last edited:

Remove ads