• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wish and its limits

jefgorbach

First Post
Please point out potential faults with:

"I wish the next vendor I meet has a <insert item> legally available for sale without restrictions or other binding complications for a total price of #gp."

(given the requested item complies with RAW's price/xp limitations outlined within Wish, and price is a reasonable percentage of its suggested price per PH/source).

kitcik

Adventurer

"I wish the next vendor I meet has a <insert item> legally available for sale without restrictions or other binding complications for a total price of #gp."

(given the requested item complies with RAW's price/xp limitations outlined within Wish, and price is a reasonable percentage of its suggested price per PH/source).

You won't meet any more vendors.

The next vendor you meet is in hell, after your "untimely" death.

You have never heard of <insert item> and therefore cannot name it using your in-game knowledge.

There are any number of faults depending on your DM's dick factor.

Seriously, though, this is a weak wish. You should get it for sure.

Nezkrul

First Post
@OP: a wish that follows the guidelines outlined in the spell description SHOULD NOT be screwed around with by your DM. A wish that asks for more than what the description says it can safely do SHOULD be screwed around with by your DM.

But using the create or improve a magic item option in the wish can get you big beefy magic items by spending your XP instead of your cash. After the wizard learns wish, if he were to wish for a Cloak of Spell Resistance 61, he need only spend 45000xp to have nigh unbeatable spell resistance until he's level 41. That means that if he didn't want to lose 9th level spells, he'd have to be 10,000 xp into level 19 when he makes that wish (and boy would he be a dastardly bastard in duels).

Jack Simth

First Post
@OP: a wish that follows the guidelines outlined in the spell description SHOULD NOT be screwed around with by your DM. A wish that asks for more than what the description says it can safely do SHOULD be screwed around with by your DM.

But using the create or improve a magic item option in the wish can get you big beefy magic items by spending your XP instead of your cash. After the wizard learns wish, if he were to wish for a Cloak of Spell Resistance 61, he need only spend 45000xp to have nigh unbeatable spell resistance until he's level 41. That means that if he didn't want to lose 9th level spells, he'd have to be 10,000 xp into level 19 when he makes that wish (and boy would he be a dastardly bastard in duels).

Ah, as part of the Components Description, per the XP component:
SRD said:
Some powerful spells entail an experience point cost to you. No spell can restore the XP lost in this manner. You cannot spend so much XP that you lose a level, so you cannot cast the spell unless you have enough XP to spare. However, you may, on gaining enough XP to attain a new level, use those XP for casting a spell rather than keeping them and advancing a level. The XP are treated just like a material component—expended when you cast the spell, whether or not the casting succeeds.
(emphasis added)

Sekhmet

First Post
jefgorbach said:

Done.
He sold it to the gentleman who walked in before you.

Subquestion 1: Done! The Wish cast by the ring can only effect the ring.
Subquestion 2: VETO - allow a "redo" in a casual game or the spell has no effect in a more serious one. I could easily mess with it, though. "I" is an ambiguous word, and very open to interpretation, but I do try not to use English against a person when they are trying to be as clear as possible.

Last edited:

Purly hypothetically, if a player did these things, what would your response be. (Note: I am not an overly power hungry player looking to do all this, I am just curious about peoples responses ^^)

Which of these do you think as a DM you would and would not allow if a player wanted them. These certainly seem possible to be granted, but I wonder how fair.

You can assume the player wishes for it in the manner you see as most sensible.

(If you'd warp it in an interesting way, sharing also sounds fun)

1) A wish for a new feat
2) A wish for a skill point (To a maximum of +5 for five wishes)
3) A wish for a low level class skill (i.e Trap spotting)
4) A wish for a high level class skill (i.e Cloaked casting)
5) A wish for a skill trick
6) A wish for a supernatural ability
7) A wish for an extraordinary ability
8) A wish for a spell like ability
9) A wish to be able to use a spell without being a caster
10) A wish to learn a new spell as a sorceror
11) A wish to learn a new spell as a wizard
12) A wish for +1 bab (No idea how youd wish for that) (To a maximum of +5 for five wishes)
13) A wish to be treated as a higher caster level
Also if a player shapechanged (level 9 spell) into a pit fiend, would you allow them to grant another party member a wish? If so would you make them pay the XP and gold cost normally associated with it?

kitcik

Adventurer
1) A wish for a new feat
- A crappy feat for RP reasons or to qualify for a PrC, probably.
- metamagic or battle jump, probably not.
- yes, even if it ewnt above level limit
- yes
- yes
- yes, if they qualified for it (two skill points - sure)
- maybe if not
- depends which one
- same
- same
- same (some rogue wants detect magic at will 1/day, sure)
- probably yes
- probably yes
12) A wish for +1 bab (No idea how youd wish for that) (To a maximum of +5 for five wishes)
- yes
- only in limited circumstances

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Purly hypothetically, if a player did these things, what would your response be. (Note: I am not an overly power hungry player looking to do all this, I am just curious about peoples responses ^^)

Which of these do you think as a DM you would and would not allow if a player wanted them. These certainly seem possible to be granted, but I wonder how fair.

You can assume the player wishes for it in the manner you see as most sensible.

(If you'd warp it in an interesting way, sharing also sounds fun)

1) A wish for a new feat
Also if a player shapechanged (level 9 spell) into a pit fiend, would you allow them to grant another party member a wish? If so would you make them pay the XP and gold cost normally associated with it?
Since all the safely recommended examples within the Wish text seem to indicate Wishing for a single use only spell, I'd not permit # 6, 7, 8, 10, or 11 right off.
#9 would be permittable, as long as that spell was used right away, and only once.
I'd allow # 13 to apply to the next spell only.
As for the non-spell related ones, Using the single-cast spell as the precedent, I'd permit # 1, 3, 4, 5 and 12 to occur immediately, and only once, like a single-cast spell.
Since you can Wish for a permanent increase to an ability score, I'd permit # 2 easy, since an increase in INT would do this anyway. I'd permit each Wish to count for 1 skillpoint, instead of the cumulative Wishes for the ability score, since a skillpoint affects much less.

Remove ads