D&D 5E Wish and True Names: Cosmic Fireworks

LightPhoenix

First Post
One of my own would be to have a 9th level spell, called Any-spell. It has the spell copying effects of wish and nothing else. Honestly, have a slot to cast any 8th level and lower spell in existence as a 9th level spell once per day is worthy of the slot in and of itself.

Alternatively, Wish as a spell slot is basically "Anyspell" and Wish as a ritual is "Wish." That way the DM can pull out the more powerful Wishes into the realm of story. Additionally, the DM can then play around with stuff like special components, true names, misfires, and other more consequential aspects of the spell.

I think that's a cool idea to split Wish into two or more things. Wish could then become a "class of rituals", perhaps epic rituals.

IME, in AD&D, no one ever just "cast Wish". They would spend weeks in and out of game writing up a perfect Wish instead. Wish could literally be the name for epic-level rituals, with the time spent "writing" a Wish being explain in-game as actually creating a new epic-level ritual.

Thraug

First Post
I'd prefer the spell description to be as simple as: "Upon casting this you vocalize your single wish and it is so. Make your words precise, for the energies powering the Wish spell are chaotic and sometimes devious.". After casting Wish, make a DC <whatever> CON save. Failure results in never being able to cast Wish again.

I feel Wish should be very powerful, dangerous, and left to DM and player negotiation.

steenan

Adventurer
[MENTION=84157]Thraug[/MENTION] is right. No need to complicate the spell with multiple layers of complicated rules.

"When you cast this spell, you wish for something to happen - and it happens. If the effect exceeds the magnitude of a 7th level spell, the DM should also introduce a complication or cost, similar in scale. This complication should never negate the desired effect."

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I like the idea that Wish is a spell that a Wizard might cast once or twice in his lifetime.

There are many ways this could be accomplished:

• Wish has a good chance of killing the caster.
  • Wish always has negative side effects equivalent to the wish granted.
  • Wish destroys the spell slot it was cast from.
  • Wish requires a terrible personal sacrifice as a component.
  • Wish drains the spell caster to 10th level.
  • Wish simply can't be cast again for at least ten years.
  • Wish might cause insanity in the caster.
I'm sure you can come up with more.

Remove ads