Wish I could delete this.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I do not think it means what you think it means

The point however stands, phylacteries (or tefillin) are still used in Jewish religious practice today, and most ttrpg companies are phasing out its use
The last time this discussion came up I and the other Jewish posters here(at least all those who commented in the thread) stated that we are not now, nor ever have been offended by the use of phylactery for liches. Especially since we don't even use the word. I've never once at services or outside of services, heard the Tefillin referred to as a phylactery. It was all the non-jews being offended on our behalf in that thread, which I found to be far more offensive.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
It is the word that I have to use to explain Liches as it is. Probably copyrighted, though.
So were various other terms once, until general use made them part of the everyday lexicon.

I mean, maybe you can't print "horcrux" in a book or adventure module or whatever, but nobody can stop you saying it at the table. Failing that, if JKR can invent a whole new cool-sounding term for it, so can we.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
1684872644479.png

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
So were various other terms once, until general use made them part of the everyday lexicon.

I mean, maybe you can't print "horcrux" in a book or adventure module or whatever, but nobody can stop you saying it at the table. Failing that, if JKR can invent a whole new cool-sounding term for it, so can we.
I created psyklovos.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
If it isn't trademarked right now, we can use it in print

With respect, you can use it in print, if you feel comfortable going up against the richer-than-the-Queen (now King) author in court. Remember, it doesn't need to be registered to be a valid trademark, so using it in print is kind of asking them to use you as the example of defending that mark.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
With respect, you can use it in print, if you feel comfortable going up against the richer-than-the-Queen (now King) author in court. Remember, it doesn't need to be registered to be a valid trademark, so using it in print is kind of asking them to use you as the example of defending that mark.
That's why I coined psyklovos n_n

Remove ads