Wish I could delete this.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
That's why I coined psyklovos n_n
Cool term, but shares the same basic issues I always had with 'phylactery' - too many syllables and hard to pronounce at first glance. :)

Take out the 'klo' and leate it at 'psyvos', though, and you're on to something. :)

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Cool term, but shares the same basic issues I always had with 'phylactery' - too many syllables and hard to pronounce at first glance. :)

Take out the 'klo' and leate it at 'psyvos', though, and you're on to something. :)
I favor it as se-clou-vuhs, but I'm sure most people will pronounce it sai-cluh-vuhs. How about simplify it into psyklove so it is pronounced se-clouv?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I favor it as se-clou-vuhs, but I'm sure most people will pronounce it sai-cluh-vuhs. How about simplify it into psyklove so it is pronounced se-clouv?
Pretty much anything starting with "psy..." is going to get pronounced "sigh..." no matter what you do. :)

To get the pronunciation you want it'd probably have to be spelled something like "seklouve" or even "s'klouve".

I like them all and will likely keep them all for our table.

Horcrux - modern
Psychoklovos - a derivative of @MoonSong's concept which I like. For pronunciation psee-cho-klo-vos. The first o is accentuated and the ch making the χ sound in Greek.
Phylactery - the traditional name
Phylakterion - archaic
Reliquary - another great contender
Soulcage, Soulvessel - practical

Clint_L

Hero
If I was a lich my soul vessel would be very important to me and I would probably give it a pet name, like my "bobo."

Doesn't sound as cool to me though, I'll keep using ...
Not a reasonable rationale to keep using a term inadvertently appropriated from an existing religion, that we've been asked not to use. [edited to remove snark]

Edit: expanded
At my school, until a few years ago we called casual days (when students don't have to wear their uniforms) "mufti" days. It was a term inherited from British private schools (which they call public schools, but that's another story). Anyway, it was brought to our attention that the term came from colonial times and is originally a term of respect for muslim scholars. British soldiers thought their religious garb looked comfortable and so started referring to casual wear as "going mufti" in an offhandedly racist way, and eventually the term made its way into the school lexicon.

Anyhow, when we finally learned of this and were politely asked "could you please not?" we of course corrected our inadvertent mistake and now call those days "casual days." It seemed like the only reasonable, respectful thing to do. This situation seems pretty much the same.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
mad max fury road GIF

Remove ads