Wish spell used to become half dragon...

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Pax said:

A largely irrelevant quote, no offense. As I said, as cited in Savage Species ... a volume not (yet) included in the OGL, and therefor, not included in the SRD.

Thanks for providing the quote, Pax. Then if Savage Species is considered canon in a campaign, then yes, Wish can do what's been asked. Otherwise, from the SRD, it can be considered possible but not assured--as the DM decides, based on the last clause of the Core spell description of Wish.

Pax

Banned
Banned
Lord Pendragon said:
Thanks for providing the quote, Pax. Then if Savage Species is considered canon in a campaign, then yes, Wish can do what's been asked. Otherwise, from the SRD, it can be considered possible but not assured--as the DM decides, based on the last clause of the Core spell description of Wish.

Even based solely on your own quote, it can. Wish can do ANYthing; the listed effects in the PHB are not all of what Whish can do, they are what it can do safely and unambiguously, with no DM adjudicationof "can it or can't it" involved.

Again -- it is fully within the powers of a wish, butit is NOT within the SAFE powers of a wish.

gariig

First Post
Personally, I would allow it. However, they would not just get the template slapped onto them right out. I would do some of the suggestions already given.

1. They lose character levels until their ECL is the same as it was before. The Fighter 14 turns into a Half-dragon/Human Fighter 10(or 11 depending on the ECL of the template).

2. the Template is given a Savage species treatment and can level up in the template. However, they would lose 1 character level to get the first level in the template.

That's the only ways I can think of. Also, someone might want a huge favor done for them to allow this. Maybe some god of the dragons will require a srvice to allow the power of a dragon into a mere mortal.

Gariig

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Casting wish to become a new kind of creature, with full access to all extraordinary, spell-like, and supernatural abilities (see End Result, below), while retaining Intelligence, memory, and personality, falls under the "wishing for greater effects" rules in the spell description.
Exactly.
"Wishing for greater effects" is solely at the discretion of the DM. A caster attempt to wish for anything-- even to turn himself into an epic Wiz999/Ftr999/Rog999 greater deity half-dragon vampire lich woodchuck-- but that doesn't mean it will work. The DM is free to interpret the request any way he wants, without even having to invoke Rule 0.

maddman75

First Post
Here's my take on Wish. There is no limit on Wish - the spell undoes reality and redoes it according to the wish of the caster.

In this case, adding a template is beyond the safe and known powers of the spell. So it will happen, but it may not happen in the way the player thinks it will, or there may be unintended consequences.

I'd allow it, and do the 'you don't go up for three levels' route. I'd also have the character lose himself to the power of his dragonsblood. Make him roll Will saves when damaged to avoid a rage. Give him a ferocious appetite for valuable gems.

ANother way would be to have him captured by a dragon worshpping cult that choose him as their champion. THey then proceed to remove limbs and replace them with draconic ones. Maybe even some vestigial wings. Not bad, but not what the player wanted either.

WIshing for stuff more powerful than what is listed in the book is DANGEROUS. Most importantly, do not tell him exactly how you are going to do this before he chooses.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Pax said:

Even based solely on your own quote, it can. Wish can do ANYthing; the listed effects in the PHB are not all of what Whish can do, they are what it can do safely and unambiguously, with no DM adjudicationof "can it or can't it" involved.

Again -- it is fully within the powers of a wish, butit is NOT within the SAFE powers of a wish.
?? I'm somewhat confused. My contention is that Wish cannot allow what is being asked as a matter of course, not that it cannot allow it at all. For instance, the spell Summon Monster III allows a wizard to call forth a Fiendish Dire Bat. This can't be countered by the DM without using Rule 0. According to the rules, Summon Monster III = Fiendish Dire Bat.

The Wish spell also has a set number of effects that it can achieve in standard play. I quoted this in my post earlier. Without the DM invoking Rule 0, Wish can have these effects without fail.

However, using a Wish for anything else is automatically a matter of DM discretion, even without Rule 0. So it depends entirely on the DM. While you obviously believe it is possible to do so, in my game it most likely would not. And the point is, we are both playing by the core rules. My assertion that Wish cannot grant the half-dragon template is absolutely legal, without using Rule 0.

Hence why I wrote:
it can be considered possible but not assured
in my last post. But perhaps what I was (badly, it seems,) trying to say can better be described in a post by another member:
"Wishing for greater effects" is solely at the discretion of the DM. A caster attempt to wish for anything-- even to turn himself into an epic Wiz999/Ftr999/Rog999 greater deity half-dragon vampire lich woodchuck-- but that doesn't mean it will work. The DM is free to interpret the request any way he wants, without even having to invoke Rule 0.

niteshade6

First Post
I think if had players try this, the wish would work and the player would be hit a polymorph other and turned into a half dragon. I suspect this is not a legal polymorph, but I'd make an exception here. But of course if somebody hit him with a dispel magic he'd pop back into his original form if they beat his caster level.

EPRock

Slaughter McSlaughter
Since a God is providing the Power

He says that it is a wish, but since it is done by a God, I would say that it is not a Wish as per the spell, but as a Wish by the god. (As the DM you can make the God do anything you want to).

I like some of the ideas provided by the earlier threads where the character would not gain / lose anything, but changes would start happening as the character would be gaining levels.

IE would gain a partial strength gain at the first level, then another strength gain at the 2nd level, then the natural armor, strength, and con gain at the last level.

Remove ads