• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Witcher movie coming! Yah! er...yah?

Quickleaf

Legend
On the upside, Studio Platige did some really cool animations and it's going to be a movie!

On the downside, the Sean Daniels company (who brought us the wonderful Mummy series /sarcasm) is involved.

Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Witcher is getting its own film adaptation based on the series of novels by Andrzej Sapkowski. Currently in early production, the film is already lining up various Hollywood talent.

Studio Platige films is teaming up with the Sean Daniels company (The Mummy) to produce a new film based on the life of the Witcher protagonist Geralt of Rivia. Specifically, the film will be based on themes from the short stories “The Witcher,” and “Lesser Evil” from “The Last Wish” collection.

The film is slated to be directed by Oscar nominee Tomasz Baginksi. Thania St. John (Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Grimm) is currently working on the script. No statement has been made on potential actors for the role of Geralt, or any major supporting characters like Ciri, Triss, or Yennefer.

The film, scheduled for an international 2017 release, is planned as an introduction the Witcher universe and as the beginning of a series. The Witcher series has previously been adapted for Polish cinemas as The Hexer, and later a 13-episode television series. CD Projekt RED, the developer of the Witcher video game series, has no listed involvement with the project, but you can check out how they created three of modern gaming's most memorable female characters in Kim Wallace's feature.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
so having only seen the game, can I ask how closely do the games follow the books and are the books any good?

Fasckira

First Post
Considering Poland view the Witcher series as something of national pride and coupled with the success of W3 I guess it was inevitable. Its a shame that CD Projekt Red aren't involved though, they could have given some great input in direction.

I'll watch it when it comes out either way. Least it isn't being directed by Uwe Boll whos thankfully decided to retire!

Dog Moon

Adventurer
I liked 'The Mummy'. Looking forward to this.

I really enjoyed the first Mummy movies. The others I would consider about average. If it had been by the people that made the Scorpion King movies, THEN I would be worried!

But I like the first game that I played of the Witcher, so I think a movie could be interesting. Definitely at least check it out on Redbox if nothing else.

Edit: first Mummy movie. singular. my bad.

Last edited:

so having only seen the game, can I ask how closely do the games follow the books and are the books any good?
The games tell a different story than the novels, and you can see what stories they got their inspiration from for many aspects. Basically, the games continue the story after the end of the short stories and novels (at a point where you didn't necessarily expect a sequel to be possible.)

The first game felt a bit as if it was retelling elements of the original novels, but kinda as if they didn't happen. There is a bit of retconning going on I think in the game series. But the major character in the 3rd Witcher game, Ciri, was introduced in the novels and was important there, too. The way how Yenefer and Geralt get together in the first place is also concluded in the game.

I liked the novels. They're a different kind of fantasy. Like the game, the novels have an interesting mix of light-hearted humour and dramatic (and sometimes grim) stories. A lot of the stories are not about "Big Evil" and dark conspiracies, but also about the more or less everday life of the Witcher.

I'll be eager to see if they can do that justice. Will they loose themselves into some grand evil plot that needs to be unraveled, or will they tell it more like one of the shorter stories?

There was already a Polish TV movie about the Witcher. It wasn't half-bad, but of course not grand cinema.

Quickleaf

Legend
Considering Poland view the Witcher series as something of national pride and coupled with the success of W3 I guess it was inevitable. Its a shame that CD Projekt Red aren't involved though, they could have given some great input in direction.

I'll watch it when it comes out either way. Least it isn't being directed by Uwe Boll whos thankfully decided to retire!

Amen to that last comment!

Also, I did a bit more reading up on it, and you know those amazing Witcher 3 trailers?

Here's one for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ-x2AVJ480

Those were done by Studio Platige, who are co-producing. Keeping my fingers crossed that the AWESOME of Platige overshadows the horrible of Sean Daniels Company.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads