Witcher (Netflix)

Found it all a bit dull tbh. Maybe I was full of hype after really enjoying S1 but it felt like they took 8 episodes to do what could be achieved in 3 or 4. Yennifer especially seemed particularly pointless and just waiting for her one cool thing to happen in the finale.
IMO

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I really enjoyed it, played the games but never read the books. I found the show entertaining and it walked the balance of the political intrigue and action very well. It was as clever in its use of politics as GoTs, but I don't think it needs to be. Also a massive shout out to the actress who played Ciri, thought she did an amazing job

Zardnaar

Legend
I really enjoyed it, played the games but never read the books. I found the show entertaining and it walked the balance of the political intrigue and action very well. It was as clever in its use of politics as GoTs, but I don't think it needs to be. Also a massive shout out to the actress who played Ciri, thought she did an amazing job

Yeah Ciri was cool season 2. She was alright in one but that's not on the actor but the writers.

The main three characters were great. Ciri really stepped up. Really liked her more compared to S1. Geralt was as fun as ever. Yennefer's story this time around was pretty much the opposite trajectory of the events of S1. It was good and I like her character but I enjoyed her S1 arc more.

Action wise the bruxa and Eskeleshy fights were my favorites of the season. My least favorite was the dino/basilisk fight at Kaer Morhen. They felt the least real to me of the many monsters we saw.

The inclusion of Voleth Meir and her machinations was great. I haven't read the books or played the games so I don't know how long time fans feel about it but I thought everything about her nailed the Baba Yaga witchy vibe perfectly.

I enjoyed Jaskier but his hair was awful. If there was anything I'd change about this season it's that. The meta recap of S1 he does with the boat guy was a fun scene though. It's good that the writers can take the S1 criticisms in stride.

I was not impressed by the other Witchers. I don't expect them all to be Geralt clones but they felt like a bunch of puds by comparison. I think we needed to see them fight or train to get a sense of them. They all jest with Ciri about her training but seeing them do it too would have been nice. The only time we do see them really fight half of them get their heads chewed off so I'm left wondering.

As Djikstra said there are a lot of irons in the fire for S3. We've got next steps of the main gang, hedgehog turned evil emperor reveal (neat foreshadow in the illusion of Cintra for him), elven infanticide revenge fallout, fire fucker and his boss (assuming the secret boss is someone we've already met my money is on Vilgefortz), the brotherhood hunting Yen, Redania's move on Cintra, the wild hunt, Tissaia and Vilgefortz trouble in paradise, the trouble with monoliths (assuming Voleth Meir's leaving doesn't end their importance), and more.

I hope we don't have a long wait for S3 and that Netflix behaves itself and doesn't cancel this series before it reaches its conclusion.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I admit I liked season 1 better, and am not a fan of Yennifer. Haven't read the books, but never liked her in the games, or in this series. As far as the saddest part of the series..

When Roach died. I know he gives that name to all horses, but I have a soft spot for animals.

Stalker0

Legend
She was alright in one but that's not on the actor but the writers.
I feel like there is a sentiment that the writer's somehow "did Ciri dirty" in season 1....but I feel like that was just the purpose of the plot.

In S1, ciri is a plot device. She is constantly chased, constantly pushed towards something with little ability to make her own choices. Now in S2, that has started to change. Ciri is starting to take control, make choices, try and prepare for the fate that is awaiting her. Ciri has awakened into a full protagonist of the story as opposed to a pawn pushed around on the board.

I feel like all of that was very intentional on the writer's part.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I feel like there is a sentiment that the writer's somehow "did Ciri dirty" in season 1....but I feel like that was just the purpose of the plot.

In S1, ciri is a plot device. She is constantly chased, constantly pushed towards something with little ability to make her own choices. Now in S2, that has started to change. Ciri is starting to take control, make choices, try and prepare for the fate that is awaiting her. Ciri has awakened into a full protagonist of the story as opposed to a pawn pushed around on the board.

I feel like all of that was very intentional on the writer's part.
And it actually makes for a fairly compelling story where the character transitions from basically being a living McGuffin to their own independent, functioning character. Her story in Season 2 is stronger because of her role in the first season, IMO.

Argyle King

Legend
I started season 2 this morning.

So far, I'm highly enjoying it.

It's a small detail, but (in episode 3) I laughed at the callback to the Witcher joke from Season 1's Djinn episode.

Triss now has reddish hair, a detail which will likely satisfy fans of the source material.

I feel that the show does a really good job of pacing. Things that need to be quick are; things which are better with a slow burn are given time to develop.

And it actually makes for a fairly compelling story where the character transitions from basically being a living McGuffin to their own independent, functioning character. Her story in Season 2 is stronger because of her role in the first season, IMO.
I agree. She stops being merely chased and trying to survive to finally formulating her own goals and taking steps towards achieving them. That is very satisfactory.

I also liked Yennefer's story, too. Having to go by on her wits rather than her magic is a new challenge for her that she masters. I know some people dislike that she contemplates selling out Ciri, but the point she considers it is when Ciri is a no one to her - Yennefer is never what you can consider a "nice" person. But even before she realizes that she can't do that to Ciri, she is constantly resisting Voleth Meir promises and temptations, where the other two sorceresses dived in with both feet, basically (and paid an ugly price). Yennefer refuses to let others dictate her fate and stays true to herself.
And one of my favorite moments is probably when she deals with Rience.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases