• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

With all the ruminations on Essentials, are Power Cards even worth buying any more?

malraux

First Post
It's a fair point. I do have a DDi account, but I'm on a Mac, so it would cost me an extra $250 to print out the cards (I'd need Windows plus Parallels to run the CB), so in the long run, it's actually cheaper for me to get the store-bought Power Cards (not to mention the cost of ink and paper).

FWIW, virtualbox is about a good as parallels, but is free. And bootcamp is also a decent solution. The only extra expense is windows, but you could probably find a cheap copy of xp somewhere for not very much.

GRStrayton

First Post
FWIW, virtualbox is about a good as parallels, but is free. And bootcamp is also a decent solution. The only extra expense is windows, but you could probably find a cheap copy of xp somewhere for not very much.

Thanks. I'll check out virtualbox. I looked into Wine, but it won't run the .NET framework.

And I thought the same thing about XP, but actually it seems everyone still wants it, so I haven't been able to find it for less than $200. If you have any leads on that front, that would be great!

The Human Target

Adventurer
Durability in the long run and OCD? :eek::heh::p

Heh. I guess its just personal preference. I like the sheets with all my totals printed out that usually last about 2 levels. It does use up ink, but its worth it since I don't print out much besides gaming stuff anyway.

I seem to be in a weird niche group. I'm involved in 3 campaigns, 15 people total, and everyone's a Mac person. We're all writers, actors, directors, and editors, so that's not surprising, I guess. But my whole family and my wife's family are all Mac users as well, so no help there. That's all right, I still prefer the store-bought Power Cards anyway (just wish they'd put out ones for the PHB3 and Essentials)!

Huh thats weird. You Mac people must be mounting some kind of resistance and plotting to overthrow the rest of us. ;)

Festivus

First Post
If anyone ever sits down and writes up a set by step on how to set this up, I'd love it. So many people I know can't run CB because they have macs, and I think it would be great to help them out.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I have not bought any of the cards, as the expense is just too much. I play msot kinds of characters, so I would need to buy pretty much all of them.

As for DDI, I am not a fan. (Some of you have heard me say this before) and even buying it for one month every few months is not necessary for me. I have the books, and prefer pen and paper.

I do think htat having osme kind of card to help my players (especially one of them) remember what he can do in combat would be nice.

nnms

First Post
It's a fair point. I do have a DDi account, but I'm on a Mac, so it would cost me an extra $250 to print out the cards (I'd need Windows plus Parallels to run the CB), so in the long run, it's actually cheaper for me to get the store-bought Power Cards (not to mention the cost of ink and paper).

Might I suggest copy pasting from the compendium into your word processor of choice. If you're using a text box with a border, a regular card sleeve holds a card that is 2.5 inches wide and 3.5 inches high.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Thanks. I'll check out virtualbox. I looked into Wine, but it won't run the .NET framework.
Have you checked out CrossOver?

No need of Windows, tries to run windows-based applications through APIs right on the MacOS. In other words, no need for a Windows license, just purchase the CrossOver program . . . I've heard their support is rather good. Don't know how well it works running .NET though . . .

Mad Hamish

First Post
A quick look at the page suggests that the .Net runtimes don't work reliably for Crossover so it seems very unlikely to help run the character builder.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads